Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

occasionally, I have severe pain in my right eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For how long does the pain last each time? How is the vision in the right eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any nausea or vomiting along with the eye pain? Any known history of glaucoma/migraine/sinusitis in the family?

JACUSTOMER-w1wfuebw- :

The pain lasts less than a minute. The vision in the eye is fine. I have no vomiting and nausea. My mother is currently using Xalatan drops in her eyes . My father and most of his relatives wore glasses. I'm not sure what the diagnosis was for these family members.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I see.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Now there can be a lot of causes of severe eye pain which can vary from something as simple as fatigue to something more serious as glaucoma.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The causes as such are 1) ocular migraine- severe eye pain may or maynot be associated with headache/nausea/vomiting/visual aura such as flashes of light. Needs only analgesics for the treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

2) Sinusitis- The eye is surrounded by 4 sinuses and invariably the eye suffers a referred pain from inflammation of any of the sinuses. Responds well to analgesics , steam inhalation .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

3) Intermittent stage of angle closure glaucoma- Severe eye pain , associated with nausea / vomiting, foggy vision. Aggravating factors are entering a dark room for example. Needs immediate attention and evaluation such as intraocular pressure check, fundus( dilated eye exam).

JACUSTOMER-w1wfuebw- :

What are analgesics and steam inhalation and how often should I take them? I have had an eye exam and all of the tests were fine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Analgesics are pain killers. Tablet Acetaminophen is safe enough to be taken to relieve the pain. The dosage is 500 mg twice a day or SOS till pain subsides. For steam inhalation, heat a vessel of clean drinking water till you begin to see vapours coming out. Bring the vessel off the stove and keep it on a table. Bend your face over the vessel at a safe distance while keeping the head covered by a towel( cover the head and vessel together while keeping some gap for fresh air). You may even find a vapouriser in the stores which can be directly plugged in ( electric one).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you? Any follow up questions?

JACUSTOMER-w1wfuebw- :

No, I do not have any follow up questions. Thank you for your time and I will follow through with the analgesics and steam inhalation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome.Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist