Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Son is 30 years old and had lazy eye correction at 3 years

Son is 30 years old and had lazy eye correction at 3 years old and is now having painful headaches with double vision. Dr. has been seen x2 and Dr. is unsure on treatment. He is patching eyes with no relief or changes. Any ideas on next step we can take?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Painful headaches with double vision can occur in case of ocular migraine but is invariably for a short duration and does not last for more than a couple of hours at the most.

What I would want to know is - Is the double vision a constant feature or is it intermittent?

Is it experienced with both eyes open only which disappears on closure of one of the eyes?

Any change in the size of one of the eyes- does one of the eyes look smaller or any drooping of the eyelid?

When you said patching of the eyes has been tried, who has tried the patching- your son or was it advised by the doctor?

What kind of doctor has seen your son- an ophthalmologist or a non-eye doctor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1 Constant feature

2 Both eyes and decreases with closure

3 Advised by Dr. at last appointment and we bought a black eye patch at CVS

4Dr. is Optometrist

Thank you for the reply and the information.

Just few more clarifications before an answer can be formed-

When both of his eyes are open, do you find one of his eyes deviated away from the centre? Do the eyes appear to be squinting?

Any idea about the cause of his lazy eye in childhood? Did he have squint in childhood?

Does he wear glasses/contact lenses?

For how long has he been suffering from these symptoms now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1 If it deviates it is slight and to the center with no squinting

2 He was born a twin and premie 2 months early weight 3 pds 8oz

3 no squinting as a child

4 wears no glasses or contacts Had Lasik surgery 10 years prior Great could see perfect until 2-3 years ago and now has the double visit. We went to the Dr. thinking he needed the Lasik repeated and found out it was not the case

I guess I would not be doing full justice by forming my opinion based on the given information only. It would have helped to have examined his eyes in real and not in the virtual sense.

Nevertheless a double vision of recent onset and of constant nature does raise the suspicion of a neurological cause. Our eyes move in all directions because of 3 nerves, 3rd,4th and 6th cranial nerves. For such constant double vision , it is possible that one of these cranial nerves is probably having weakness thus causing a weakness of one or more of the eye muscles to become weak. I would suggest that your son should be seen by a neuro-ophthalmologist or even a general ophthalmologist for that matter so as to go down to the root cause of the double vision. Mere patching is not enough as it only relieves the symptom and does not address the cause. An optometrist may not be qualified enough to detect the cause of double vision. Of course there are non-neurological causes of double vision also but only a thorough eye exam can tell that.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Before we hang up, do you have any Dr.s in the area of Dayton Ohio that we could see?
John A Fleishman MD
Member Type: Fellow
Primary Office: 1520 S Main St Ste 5
Dayton, OH 45409
Ph: (937) 223-1279
Practice Focus: Cataract/IOL and Neuro-Ophthalmology
Activity: Solo Practitioner
Education: MD, 1981, Case Western Reserve Univ Hosp
Residency: Univ Michigan Kellogg Eye Ctr , 1982 -1985
Fellowship: Univ Michigan Kellogg Eye Ctr , 1985 -1986, Neuro-Ophthalmology
Certification: 1986