Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My niece is going in for exploratory eye surgery on wednesday.

Customer Question

My niece is going in for exploratory eye surgery on wednesday. She is 8 weeks old and when she was born her right eye was more of a green colour than the other. Over time, the eye appeared to have a lazy lid but on closer inspection they eye itself appeared to be smaller, sunken and looked almost bulging. Mom was told today that the retina is detached and the back of the eye appears to be "sloughing." Any ideas as to what this may be or the causes and prognosis? Mom is upset as her paediatrician suggested that this could be part of a develpmental delay.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

Do you have any suggestions?

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms??

Customer :

Yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Is the problem in one eye or both eyes?
Was your niece born premature?

Customer :

The problem is in the right eye only and she was born at 41 weeks

Dr. James :

Was that eye normal at birth?

Customer :

Mom says the eye appeared slightly more green while the other was blue at birth but the size discrepency was not there until about 4 weeks of age

Dr. James :

Please give me a minute... I will be right back.

Customer :

Thank you

Dr. James :

Sorry for the delay.

Dr. James :

I don't believe this eye problem is due to any developmental delay.

Dr. James :

Most causes of retinal detachment in babies are due to prematurity. But with her born at 41 weeks, this is less likely.

Dr. James :

Other causes of retinal detachment could be due to tumors in the eye or infections in the eye.

Dr. James :

An ultrasound of the eye may be helpful in this situation.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I really did not find this very helpful. I found the same suggestions by conducting my own research. Sorry.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
I did my best with the information provided to me.

Goodluck to your niece.