Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My husband has yellowing of the eyes, only on the part that

Customer Question

My husband has yellowing of the eyes, only on the part that is exposed when eyes are open. There is also some type of "film or some kind of clear mucus" on them and not sure what to make of it. The "film" will not come off like mucus usually does. He drinks every day and I am kind of concerned it might have to do with that.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I'm still pushed the pretty green button, didn't you :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am available
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I'm still here but we got shunted over to Q&A. We can work on your question just fine here.

Does you husband have itchy skin? Any tint to his skin (hard to see unless he is fair skinned....)?

And problems with his vision?

Is the yellow of his eyes localized to a specific area of the whites of his eyes or is it the entire part of his white?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is hispanic so I cannot tell about the color of his skin. no itching of skin though. I am not sure about any vision problems... he is not complaining any. The discolorationright now is just limited to the white of his eye that is exposed when his eyes are open. But sometimes the yellowing casn spread to the rest of the white of the eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying R11.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The other thing he could have is called a pinguecula. This could cause a yellow color in the white part of his eyes. inguecula&usg=__YV4G58sv_Fpzuh0_5W0c3dKoMdk=&h=284&w=436&sz=11&hl=en&start=20&sig2=E4qVxfOHJ1joEOmCZY8B6Q&zoom=1&tbnid=6eoyDz0nKwfMxM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=126&ei=OVpQTar0C4WltwfI5sC2AQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpinguecula%2Bimages%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D1%26biw%3D938%26bih%3D993%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1

Does it look like the link above?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry it took so long to upload a picture of his eye. any help would be appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
ok. Let me take a look. Be right back.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
well. Good news. That is not from liver failure. It is called a pinguecula. It is nothing to worry about at this time.

Here is a link to a very good article about this:

Let me know if you would like me to add anything to the above article. By the way, that was a very good picture :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He works outside... should he were any certain kind of sunglasses to protect his eyes so they do not get any worse... Will it go away.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Any sunglasses that block UVA and UVB light should work just fine (and most of them do....). It will not go away, but if it gets to be too bothersome it can be removed with surgery, however pinguecula tend to come back after surgery.