Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My RX for glasses is fine indoors and at night. In sunlight,

Customer Question

My RX for glasses is fine indoors and at night. In sunlight, I see better without my glasses ( not great ), than with my glasses. How do I get the proper RX for sunlight? Do I need 2 different pair of glasses? I golf and hate I can't see the ball fly and land.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are your glasses made of white glass/ fibre?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you had an eye check up in the recent past? Any mention of very early cataracts?

Customer :

I don't know but I have several pair and they all lose effectiveness in sunlight.

Customer :

Yes, full exam, no signs of cataracts or other problems. I did have lasik 15 years ago. That is when problem appeared.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case if your vision is good enough during the vision test with the given glass prescription, then it confirms that the refraction is correct and the glass lens power is correct too( with the present glasses you should have been able to read the last line on the snellen's chart and the smallest font on the near vision chart).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Post lasik it is common to experience the problem of glare.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Liberal use of lubricating eye drops along with use of photochromatic glasses should help to overcome this problem.

Customer :

This is not a glare issue. I simply see better in sunlight but still need some correction, just not as much as RX provides. That is the dilema.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One can see better in sunlight as the pupils get constricted and cause pin-hole effect which improves vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You said you cannot see the ball during golf , with glasses on is it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you tried photochromatic glasses so far?

Customer :

I understand that, however the vision in sunlight is not as good as it is indoors with glasses. How do I see better in sunlight? I sense you do not understand my question. Yes, my glasses don't work well in sunlight so I actually take my glasses off playing golf. Without glasses I see better but not good and can't see the ball.

Customer :

I have a pair of HD glasses and the results are the same.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I did get your problem but was just trying to analyse it.

Customer :

I understand this may not be a common problem.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We all need glasses when images do not focus on the retina( inner layer of the eye). But it should not vary depending on the sunlight. Usually vision tends to worsen in sunlight and not improve.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In your case the situation is bad either ways- if you don't wear glasses also you do not see the ball and same with glasses on.

Customer :

correct

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though the vision is relatively better without glasses

Customer :

Is there a way to check my vision in sunlight and correct it with a separate RX?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not that I know of.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Vision is tested under standard illumination .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Indoors obviously.

Customer :

I guess I need an innovative approach.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

:)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have put my brain into some serious thinking now!!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Still trying to think of the best possible option in your case.

Customer :

That is a good thing!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If I were to be testing your eyes maybe I would have customised the test and got a vision chart outdoors for a re-test.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your case is interesting as your vision is otherwise normal indoors with the current glasses, no history of diabetes or glaucoma ( I believe).

Customer :

That is correct.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The symptoms have been heard of but in cases of very early cataracts ( cataract can change the refractive index of the lens). Improvement of vision can be seen in the cuneiform type of early cataract. But as you have had an eye exam and no cataract was found , I guess this cause is ruled out( I am to understand that it was an eye doctor who has ruled out the cataract after a dilated eye exam).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

By the way what type of glasses do you wear while playing golf and indoors? Is it unifocal / bifocal / progressive ?

Customer :

Yes, opthamologist. Do you want to think on it and get back to me? The problem has been long standing so I am patient. I have both unifocal and progressive and tried both.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This is by far the best I could think of . I'm afraid I could not be of much help to you. I could probably opt out so that another expert could step in and continue further.

Customer :

OK

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Best wishes and take care.