Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Right eye swollen shut on 20 year old male - responded briefly

Customer Question

Right eye swollen shut on 20 year old male - responded briefly to steroid tabs - symtoms returned and no longer responded to steroid - no wetness nor crusty eye - no visible pimple or other marks - Dr says allergic reaction - what do you say
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

What medical problems does the patient have and what meds does he take? When the lids are opened, can the patient see? How well? Does the eye move? Pupils react? What type of physician started the patient on steroids? Dx?

Customer :

primary physician started steroids - no med problems - pupils do react eye moves but patient says he cannot open eye to see

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that need to be excluded before rushing to steroids with severe periorbital/orbital swelling and I am sure that the primary care MD thought of them. At this point an evaluation by an ophthalmologist is indicated and, depending upon the clinical findings, an MRI of the orbit and lab work may necessary. Many, many things will respond to steroids initially and then recur.....some of these things are very bad, some not so bad -- the list is long and varied and I would suggest starting a complete workup today if possible.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Is there any other questions or concerns you would like addressed on this issue?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I see you have reviewed my answer above. Do you have any further data available on the patient that you would like me to consider or would you like more in depth information?