Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I was diagnosed with stage 1a cutaneous malignant melanoma

I was diagnosed with stage 1a cutaneous malignant melanoma in September 2010 and have quite a few atypical/dysplastic nevi. I have had 5 moles biopsied that were dysplastic. I am also being tested for a BRCA2 mutation. I was told by my optometrist this past week that that I have a small choroidal nevus in my right eye. She does not seem concerned and recommended annual review. She dilated my pupils at the most recent appt. She did not diagnose my pupils a year ago, but told me this past week that the choroidal nevus was there last year and has not changed? I am thinking that 3 month follow-ups would be more appropriate right now. Your thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. Normally a choroidal Nevis without features concerning for malignancy can be observed yearly. Once there becomes reason to suspect a malignant process happening then it is appropriate to monitor it more frequently. I think it would be appropriate to observe thus Nevis more frequently than yearly. While every 3 months may be a bit frequent, I certainly think given the circumstances, seeing you every 4-6 months would be reasonable and sooner than that should you have any symptoms of worsened vision and/or flashing lights or increased floaters.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.