Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

In the past 3 years, my eye check ups have shown signs that

Customer Question

In the past 3 years, my eye check ups have shown signs that I may be getting glaucoma. I haven't shown signs of loss of peripheral vision but something else has happened. About 8 months ago I woke up with a small "blister-bubble" on my upper eye lid near the tear duct. I had no idea what it was but it eventually cleared up on its own, but I have noticed on the "interior edge" of my eyeball I have a small blister. This blister has not gone away and changes size depending on my eye strain. It is usually not there in the morning, but as the day wears on and my eyes become fatigued, the blister starts filling up again. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It seems that you are offline.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I switch over to the Q & A format so that you can view the response once you are back online.

The tiny blister could be due to a meibomian gland cyst. We all have tiny oil secreting glands present in the lids which open into the lid margin through tiny ducts. Sometimes the duct of one of the glands may get blocked and results in a meibomian cyst. It can be treated with warm compresses twice a day, gentle lid massage with the tip of the fingers, and if persistent then a short course of oral Doxycycline , 100 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. Avoid touching the blister for the risk of causing an infection.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Apologies for taking so long to get back to this. I don't believe that the small blister is a meibomian cyst because it is not on my eye lid. This small blister-like area is actually on my eye ball. It is located on the inside aspect of my right eye, where the tissue surrounding the eye meets the eye. When I look straight ahead the blister is not seen. As I start to look to the right, the "blister" starts to be seen as it is "uncovered" from the tissue. It seems not to be there first thing in the morning, but by the afternoon- evening, the blister starts to get bigger. This is a very small blister that has very clear fluid in it - at least that's the way it appears to me. It almost appears to be fluid from inside my eye that may be "leaking out" to form this blister... what do you think?

Thank you for the reply and additional information. I must say it was a pleasant surprise to receive your reply after such a long time. I actually had to re-read the whole conversation again to re-connect.

If you could please have a look at this picture and tell me if the blister looks anywhere close to this-

graphic
If the blister is something similar to the picture sent, then it is likely to a pinguecula. This is a kind of conjunctival degeneration which can occur from exposure to UV radiation from sunlight and exposure to dust and wind. It usually appears like a fat globule and is commonly situated on the white of the eye between the inner corner of the eye and the colored part of the eye. It is a harmless condition which does not require any treatment as such but for lubricating eye drops for soothening effect. Preservative free Refresh tears eye drops is available over the counter and can be put in the dose of 1 drop 4 times a day for 2-3 weeks. The lubricating eye drops will relieve the eye strain also. I hope this was helpful.

Thank you and best wishes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
System problem so not sure if you got my reply, but no, the blister does not look like this. It is a clear blister and is back farther on the surface. It starts to show up as the tissue that the eyeball sits in starts to be "uncovered" from the tissue as I start to look to the right.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you need more info?
I did see your reply.

I'll send another picture and you can just see that too.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope. That's not it either. Is there a way I could mark a picture for you? We're getting closer to the area... where the three arrows are pointing at is not quite the right spot... move those arrows over to where the white of the eye is first seen "leaving" the covering tissue... that is where this small, clear blister shows up.
Could you possibly send a picture of your eye. For this you need to take a picture of the eye, upload it to your computer and then insert it by pressing on the logo of an attachment shown here ( like a paperclip - between the smiley and the you tube logos).
In the meanwhile i'll search for more images which can match yours maybe so that we can reach to a conclusion.

Thank you
I think we are coming closer to what the eye problem might be. From your descriptions, I guess it could be a conjunctival cyst . This is a fluid filled cyst seen in the white of the eye and its commonest site is where the white of the eye meets the inner corner ( which is why it is only seen in your extreme right gaze ).

graphic