Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have had a twitching eye for about three months now. And

I have had a twitching eye for about three months now. And right now it is watering quite alot. I have had some headaches but not everyday. The twitching is very annoying and uncomfortable and it makes me want to rub it. What should I do?? I am 43 years old
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Twitching of the eyelids can occur from misfiring of impulses across the neuromuscular junctions in the eye muscles.

Customer :

what can i do to stop it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Twitching of lids can be ignored as they get more pronounced with attention.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Treatment is in the form of B-complex capsules once daily for 2 months

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But watering of the eyes need to be evaluated.

Customer :

only the twitching eye is watering......and not often ...just now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Which eye is twitching - right or the left?

Customer :

left

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from watering , is there redness or discharge from that eye?

Customer :

no

Customer :

maybe some slight swelling from time to time...................but minimal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the watering more of a constant one as in pooling of the eye soon after wiping it or is it occasional?

Customer :

at the moment it is pooling

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any pain or discomfort in that eye?

Customer :

yes it feels as if there is something in it or scratched....................again not all the time though

Customer :

It feels as if there is slight pressure on it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The left eye has been watering only since today , right?

Customer :

no.....other days also but not continually

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But pooling has only been there today ?

Customer :

yes for about the last 30 minutes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Watering of the eye with discomfort ( but no redness/discharge/vision disturbance) would indicate towards a possible eyelash in the conjunctival sac. Try to flush the eye with clean water so as to dislodge it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sometimes an eyelash can get stuck on the back surface of the upperlid and is visible only on everting it.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you can possibly do that yourself or take the help of anyone beside you , it would help to rule out this possibility

Dr. A.S. Desai :

By the way do you wear contact lenses?

Customer :

ok

Customer :

no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer :

the twitching is more iritating to me though......as it has gone on for so long

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once you have done this start putting lubricating eye drops available over the counter such as preservative free Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Customer :

i figure the watering will stop eventually

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Twitching of the eyelids , as I said earlier , is more due to misfiring of impulses at the eye muscles.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Try a course of B complex capsules for a month.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Only in very severe cases called as blepharospasm, do we consider treatment in the form of injections around the eyelids.

Customer :

no thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Otherwise only B complex capsules will do.

Customer :

ok thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The more you pay attention to it the more it persists. Try ignoring it as there is nothing more that can be done and it does not indicate of any other eye disease/underlying problem.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince