Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

8 yr old son has inflamed eyes. redness, burning, stinging.

8 yr old son has inflamed eyes. redness, burning, stinging. doctors said it is not pink eye. it is spread to his other eye. First eye looks "enlarged". He has pain all the time, blurry.double vision when first opening his eyes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Has he been examined by an eye doctor or a non-eye specialist ?

Apart from the above symptoms, does he complain of blurred/foggy vision in the eyes?

What is the duration of the present complaints and for how long has he put Tobramycin eye drops ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
his pediatrician was out; he was seen by a nurse practricioner. Put dye in his eye and said it was not pink. eye.
Tobramycin since 1/31/10 (6 days) He missed one day. He does have blurred vision as a symptom. The redness began 3 days prior, 1/28/10. in the corner of RT eye; looked like just a collection of veins.
It has gotten progressively worse:spread to the entire whites of his eyes; not vein-like anymore, more pink tint. moved to the second eye within 3 days. No discharge as usual with pink eye. Eyes look "wet" but are not runny and do not crust over. RT eye not small as typical when an eye becomes irritated, but "enlarged", wider & more open than the LT eye. LT eye now also pink but not as severe as the RT. Complains of pain all the time, when eye is open and closed, in dark and in light. He says eye drops dont hurt, "they don't do anything".

Background: son has had migraines since 3 yrs old; triggers are exposure to high temp/direct sunlight for periods of time, dehydration, msg, prolonged concentration, extensive TV/monitor usage, artificial butter. no allergies as of yet. We have 2 cats for the last 7 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he has double vision.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Painful red eyes would be a matter of concern as it could indicate an inflammation of the eye such as iritis. It would need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist as it would need a closer look at the eyes especially on a slit lamp. Once diagnosed further tests and treatment can be started ( steroid eye drops and cycloplegic eye drops ).

As for double vision, it would be better to know if it is experienced with both eyes open or with only one eye open. As there is a known past history of migraine, it can explain the intermittent pain and double vision ( lasts for not more than a few hours). If double vision is persistent then it would again need a detailed eye exam by an ophthalmologist.
I would want to rule out any refractive error( short sightedness/ high astigmatism) first, if normal then check out for the ocular muscles and the ocular nerves especially the third cranial nerve( in children can get affected from head injury/infections). If everything comes out to be normal , then continue with lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day.

To summarise he needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist as early as possible.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your response. Tobramycin was prescribed for eye infection. but it is getting worse. Could this be a reaction to the Tobramycin? Or that it is not an eye infection? Or that Tobramycin is not strong enough? would you recommend a visit to a pediatrician first?
If the redness of the eyes has been there since a few days only along with watering of eyes , then there could be possibility of a viral conjunctivitis( with or without superadded bacterial infection) . An antibiotic eye drops such as Tobramycin should be sufficient in the dose of 1 drop to each eye ,4- 6 times a day for a week. Viral conjunctivitis is usually self limiting. If it were to be only these two symptoms( redness and watering) it would not be much of a concern. Since you have mentioned presence of pain along with double vision which is a matter of concern as both these symptoms are not a feature of conjunctivitis. I suggest you continue with the Tobramycin eye drops in the prescribed dosage and also consider visiting an ophthalmologist first so as to rule out the cause of pain in the eyes. Meanwhile start putting the lubricating eye drops mentioned earlier.

Thank you and best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince