Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

The area under my left eye has been twitching for about a week.

The area under my left eye has been twitching for about a week. It is not my eye-lid but in the "bag" area under the eye. It is involuntary - doesn't hurt - but is so annoying and the more I am aware of it, the more nervous it makes me. I have to say that I have been under tremendous stress for about five months now and suspect this is an "after" reaction to things that have happened. I have read that it will usually stop on its' own. It does not effect my vision or anything. I feel like my eyes are getting dry because I blind more because of this. Any suggestions? Are there any treatments?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What you are suffering from is called myokymia.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
We can use the Q&A system to work on your question since you are not online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have already looked up my condition and know what it is, but I am wondering if you have any solutions to this or as with what I have read, the situation usually resolves itself? I am definitely stressed due to some situations that happened over the past few months. Do you recommend any warm compresses or anything else for this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also doctor, from what I have read there is nothing much that can be done for this condition other than try to relieve stress, cut down on caffeine (which I drink very little of) - and that is about it. Any more information on what I could do?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
get more sleep. That is about it. Myokymia is due to an irritation to the nerve that runs the muscles that are twitching. It is not a sign of any more serious condition and it needs no treatment....which good as there really is no treatment that works other then the things you have already read about.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.