Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

ointments..itchy..times watery,andthey are red both the eye and lids

Customer Question

I have this problem for some time now, different eye doctors have prescribed antibioticdrops and ointments but none of them have done any good. The problem is sometimis likenow they are itchy, but yesterday sore and both times watery,andthey are red both the eye and lids
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Based on the symptoms of itching, watering and redness of eyes and lids, it can be said that you seem to be having a couple of problems.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One is allergic conjunctivitis and the other is blepharitis ( also contributing to dry eyes).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Anitbiotic eye drops may not help in these conditions.

Customer :

So what do you advise me to use

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For blepharitis the treatment is in the form of warm compresses twice a day( it helps to liquefy pent up secretions in the tiny meibomian oil producing glands in the lids), gentle lid scrub or massage with finger tips, scrubbing of the lids with a 50:50 diluted baby shampoo. If symptoms persist beyond 2 weeks of this , then a short course of oral antibiotics such as Tab.Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 2 weeks will help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As for allergic conjunctivitis , you can initially try using Alaway /Zaditor eye drops ( Ketotifen), 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks. If no improvement is seen then it would be better to switch over to Olopatadine eye drops ( Pataday) which is a prescription medicine.

Customer :

Will i be able to get this where i live in Cyprus

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Also regular use of preservative free lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears should be continued.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm not sure about the brand names but surely they are available.

Customer :

Ok i will try down at my Pharmacy on Monday, when i first came onto your site it was 16 pound minus 11 leaving me with 5 pound to pay, is this correct.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes you can try the medicines at your pharmacy. I have no idea about the payment issues. You will need to address it to the moderator. As experts we only get to view the question and supposed to give an answer.

Customer :

Is there a reson why all this wont print

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once we switch over to question and answer format it wil get saved and you should be able to take a print too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Before we end the chat , do you want me answer any other question?

Customer :

Well thank you Dr. Desi for your help and will i be able to let you know how i get on.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Yes , you can come back to the same link again to discuss further.