Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I got up this morning with my left eye bag swollen. Can you

I got up this morning with my left eye bag swollen. Can you give me some advice on what to do? Its very puffy like there might be fluid in it.. Last night my eye was burning, I thought it might be from my eye liner or mascare. My eye liner and mascare are new. I always discard them after a month and get new ones. Thank you for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is likely that you have developed an allergic reaction ( as you have guessed it might be the new eye make up). As long as there is no pain/ tenderness/ fever/ reduced vision in that eye, you can try the following medicines for a possible allergic reaction- Syrup Benedryl , 2 teaspoons at bedtime at night, for 3 days. You can put Alaway/Zaditor ( Ketotifen) eye drops , 1 drop twice a day for a week. Warm compresses applied twice a day will help to reduce the swelling too. If you do not begin to notice some improvement by 3 days of the above treatment or if you notice any worsening of symptoms, do consult an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye check up.

Since the swelling is restricted to one eye only I have not considered the possibility of systemic causes for eye swelling such as renal problems, severe hypertension, severe anemia and many more. These conditions tend to be bilateral .

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Edited by Dr. A.S. Desai on 2/5/2011 at 12:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not satisfied with this answer, thanks anyway
No problem. I wish you well.