Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I was in a motor vehicle collision in February of 1999. I sustained

I was in a motor vehicle collision in February of 1999. I sustained 5 small retinal tears in my right eye from an air bag that had deployed inproperly. I am now doing reading on all sorts of laser eye surgeries that are now available to correct retinal tears. I have not been able to find anywhere that tells me how recent a tear must be to be a candidate for such surgery. I have been almost completely blind in my right eye since the incident. Any help would be much appreciated
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Were you diagnosed with a retinal detachment after the injury?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you able to perceive light only in the right eye or is the vision better than that?

Customer :

Not retinal detachment no, just retinal tears. as far as im aware it has not detatched

Customer :

there is a small band of light at the bottom of my visual field in that eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok, just give me a few minutes so that I can type my response.

Customer :

thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just to brief you about the retina- The retina is the inner most layer of the eye with a central part called macula ( which is responsible for our day vision and color vision. Retinal tears can be small or large and have the risk of extending into frank retinal detachment. Once the macula of the eye is involved in an injury , it can cause severe damage to the vision. Since you have mentioned about the vision being reduced in the right eye, it does seem to have affected the macula too. Becasue only retinal tears especially in the periphery of the retina will not cause such reduced vision in presence of an attached retina.

Customer :

I was told that one tear was perticularily close to my "center of vision" would that mean the macula?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes. I guess one of the tears must be close to your macula, which is the reason for suc a reduced vision in the right eye.The urgency to treat differs between a retinal tear and retinal detachment. A retinal tear can be sealed with lasers so as to prevent its extension into a frank RD. Though not an emergency it is to be tackled as early as possible. Whereas RD is more of an emergency and is treated by scleral buckling surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The human retina( and macula) is incapable of regenerating. Thus once lost this tissue does not re-grow.

Customer :

When I was seeing specialists in 1999, I was told that there was nothing that could be done-do you believe this is still the case or has new technology in this area come about that I should investigate further as a potential chance to restore vision?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Retinal transplantation is still at experimental stage. Laser treatment at this stage would not be of any use in your case. Not just because so much time has passed by but more so becasue it is the macula which is affected.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In literature there has been mention of retinal transposition though , in which the retina is rotated so that the torn part is sent to the periphery and intact part is brought to the macula. I've only read about this but I believe ther must be retinal surgeons who must be doing this .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Maybe you can discuss about retinal transposition with your ophthalmologist who can refer you to a higher tertiary retinal centre where it is being done.

Customer :

Thank you so much for your honesty and help. I have not heard of retinal transposition but will research it further and see if there are any specialists in my area that have any knowledge of it. My left eye has compensated well, and my depth perception which was significantly affected shortly after, is considerably better now as well. Definately will make an appointment to discuss this idea further! Thank you again so much for your time

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. I wish you good luck.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince