Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

hi, I woke up this morning with a sore right eye. The outter

Customer Question

hi, I woke up this morning with a sore right eye. The outter corner was a little red... now it is very red and there is a layer of ''jelly'' that has formed on the outter corner of my eye. You can also see that there is a bit of inflammation, the eye is not perfectly round anymore...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you experience any pain in the right eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any whitish discharge or watering from that eye?

Customer :

I wouldn't call it pain, but it's sensitive to touch and when I blink

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

it started watering maybe an hour ago

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you feel like rubbing the eye? Any itching sensation in the eye? You said there was a translucent raised bleb at the outer corner, right?

Customer :

there is no itching

Customer :

hello?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be a few causes for a red eye such as infective conjunctivitis and allergic conjunctivitis. Infective conjunctivitis can be due to bacterial or viral origin , viral being more common, it has symptoms of redness,watering of the eye. Allergic conjunctivitis is associated with redness, white thread like ropy discharge along with itching .Since you have noticed only redness and watering of the eye, it can be considered to be viral conjunctivitis. It is a self limiting condition.

Customer :

so it's normal for my eye to be swollen and slightly deformed...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Preservative free lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops , availble over the counter can be put so as to give soothening effect.

Customer :

ok, should I put some antibiotic over the counter drops?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The swelling could be due to chemosis( edema of the conjunctiva-white part of the eye) which could have occured from rubbing of the eye.

Customer :

what would be the treatment?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Antibiotic eye drops are prescription drops and may not be available over the counter.

Customer :

well, like polysporin eye drops

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can use Alaway ( ketotifen) eye drops to bring down the inflammatory signs( availble over the counter), 1 drop two times a day.

Customer :

is this available in Canada?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I know that it is available in the US . Its other brand name is Zaditor eye drops . If symptoms do not improve by a week, then it is better to consult an opthalmologist for the start of antibiotic eye drops such as Vigamox.

Customer :

ok, so until I get the drops tomorrow, is there anything I should do or avoid?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Viral conjunctivitis should heal within a week or two. But being contagious you would need to take the usual precautions of washing hands very frequently. Avoid warm compresses though.You can clean the eye with boiled and cooled water .

Customer :

ok, good to know... thank you very much and have a good evening

Dr. A.S. Desai :

By the way , do you wear contact lenses?

Customer :

no i don't but I had lasik eye surgery about15 years ago

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok fine. Just wanted to make sure before ending the chat.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else you want me to answer? Any follow up questions?