Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

what causes black spots and is there a way of getting rid of

what causes black spots and is there a way of getting rid of them. They are in my left eye only and besides the spots i have what appears to be a tree branch like form.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It appears that you are currently offline. I shall send the response in the Q & A format wherein you can view the answer once you are online again.

All eyes with symptoms of black spots and branch like form need to be evaluated for a possibility of posterior vitreous detachment( PVD) and age related macular degeneration(ARMD).

Of the two conditions the former(PVD) is more of a sober condition which generally does not cause much problems but for nagging floaters. Occasionally it may lead to tiny peripheral retinal tears which can pose a risk of getting extended into a retinal detachment. A routine eye exam with dilated eye test is confirmatory. Once the retina is found to be intact, there is nothing much that needs to be done. Floaters may at times drift out of visual axis and the symptoms may disappear.

ARMD on the other hand is the more serious of the two and needs to be ruled out again by a dilated eye exam . It can cause severe visual loss if not detected earlier. Though treatment is in the form of injections in the eye and oral anti-oxidant tablets, visual recovery would depend on the type of ARMD - dry or wet. It is the wet type which causes visual loss.

It would be better to get your eye examined by an ophthalmologist so as to confirm the diagnosis and go ahead with the appropriate treatment.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist