Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have recurring eye pain on the outside corner of my right

I have recurring eye pain on the outside corner of my right eye. Feels like an eye lash or foreign object. It's a painful scratch and I can't hold my eye open. Eye drops might help for
a few minutes or maybe not. Holding the eyelid open and streching it for a few seconds
seems to help for a little while. Then it retuns later. I do have MS and some optical nerve
damage.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you remember of any accidental abrasion to the eye or any foreign body entering the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What eye drops have you tried so far?

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

Can't recall any abrasion or anything. I've only used some naturaql tears.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is quite common for an eyelash to get into the eye and cause such a discomfort. The best option is to give a thorough eye wash with copious clean water( drinking water will do). Inspite of this if the discomfort continues, then it is best to evert the upper eyelid and look for the eyelash ( common site to get stuck is called the sub-tarsal sulcus), if seen it can be gently removed with the tip of a Q-tip.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The fact that there is foreign body sensation along with pain, it is likely to be either due to a foreign body such as an eyelash or due to a faint corneal abrasion. Either ways you can continue the use of lubricating eye drops - Natural tears.

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

I can't see well enough to look for myself, but my husband has looked several times and can't see anything.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I see.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you wear contact lenses?

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

No contact lenses. Separating the eye lids and strching a little seems to gime the best relief. The problem

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

will start , come and go for a while. Might stop after some time and be calm. Just never know when it will flare up again.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is more likely to be due to a corneal abrasion then.

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

I've had catarac removed but also have thicking of cornea.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any sudden decrease in the vision inthe right eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any photophobia- intolerence to bright light?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For how long have the symptoms been there?

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

Thank you. Guess I will make an appointment with my doctor if this continues.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm just trying to analyse the condition. Since you have mentioned about multiple sclerosis and optic nerve damage, we have to keep in mind about any recurrent optic neuritis too ( it causes sudden reduction in vision , altered color vision, some amount of pain too). I guess you are right about an appointment with your ophthalmologist in this regard if symptoms persist. In the mean while do continue with the lubricating eye drops .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry but I guess there was a technical hitch for a few minutes . Please feel free to ask anything else that I can help you about.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

I've been having vision problems lately. Vision has decreased a bit and having some other neurological problems also. I've been very blessed that my condition has not been progressive. But things seem to be getting worse lately--can't walk but a few feet but very hard to do so and can only stand for a few minutes. Feels like my muscles and getting very stiff , really weak, cordation terrible, and live in pain 24/7 now. My mind wants to do 45 yr old things and my body says "no", youare 95 yrs old now. I can still "fuss" and still do lots of laughing. Have a supporting husband. I'm very BLESSED.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand the difficulties you must be facing with all the problems together.

JACUSTOMER-95aepo7z- :

Bless you and thanks for chatting with me. Take care, Bonnie

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I wish you well , Bonnie. You are truly blessed to have an understanding and supportive husband I must say. Do take care.