Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi there, over the past four months i have had very serious

Customer Question

hi there,

over the past four months i have had very serious issues with my eyesight. In july i started to notice a pressue behind my eyes, and my vision became almost hazy. This sensation happend on a daily basis until around October, at which point i started experiencing different smyptoms. I now have what my eye doctor called "floaters" in my right eye. These never go away, there from the time i wake up until the time i go to sleep. After two weeks of constant floaters i went to the optomotrist and was told i needed glasses for when i was at work, on the computer etc, and that this would make the floaters go away. I now wear my glasses everyday, particularly when i am watching television or working ont he computer, however the floaters have not left. I have gotten used to them, but am worried this could be a much deeper rooted problem then simply poor eye-sight.

Any insight?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer :

hi there

Customer :

are you able to answer my question?

Dr. Rick :

I guess that is why optometrists don't go to medical school and are in the business of selling glasses -- glasses won't help floaters, as you found out.

Customer :

no they certainly dont. granted i can see much better but the floaters are still are dominant as they were before.

Dr. Rick :

Ya, I've had floaters in my left eye since I was in medical school. Here is a little "handout" on floaters. Much of what it talks about doesn't pertain to you....we can talk about it more after I send it to you....

Customer :

okay, does it get sent to my email address?

Dr. Rick :

No. I'm trying to load it right her.....one second.....

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

With time the floaters will sink out of your central vision and your brain will, sorta, filter them out so you won't notice them much anymore.

Customer :

thanks for that. I did have a scan done on my eyes before i got my glasses but they said there was nothing there. As Ive never paid much attention to issues with my eyes i figured having constant floaters wasnt a commont thing.

Customer :

is there anything i can do to try to help this along? i have read posts from some people who have had them most of their lives, and i am starting to get use to them, but they are without a doubt a pain in the you know what!

Dr. Rick :

I know. As a retina surgeon I have people asking me to do surgery to remove them all the time.......and in 99% of cases it is not worth the risk......My honesty gets in the way of my profit on a daily basis :o)

Customer :

well i appreciate that! i find because of my age it is difficult for medical experts to take my queries seriously, and i certainly do not want to do anything that has a risk of making it worse.

Dr. Rick :

The surgery really, really pays well, but you don

Dr. Rick :

't need or want it.....the floaters are no big deal and we all, eventually, get used to them

Customer :

so this is quite a common experience among people?

Dr. Rick :

yes, it is.

Dr. Rick :

Oh ya, you should dump the optometrist who lied to you to sell some glasses.....

Customer :

ha! ive been told many times before but have genrally ignored their suggestions and continued on without glasses. however, i do find them helpful when i am at work as i am constantly staring at the computer.

Dr. Rick :

Have an ophthalmologist do your glasses from now on. It costs the same and they are better educated (usually :o)

Customer :

Thank you for your help. As much as they are annoying, it gives me some piece of mind knowing this is a common occurance among people, and i will take daily floaters over an eye disease any day!

Dr. Rick :

Aint that the truth, eh? as they say in Canada.....

Customer :

I was going to go to an ophthalmologist but i am currently living abroad but the price difference was over $300 so i settled for an optomotrist!

Dr. Rick :

Really? Things are different in the UK then Northern Wisconsin. A glasses Rx/minimal exam is usually about the same around my area....

Customer :

Definitely nt over here! i am living in london and they tried to charge the equivilent of around $500

Customer :

Anyways, thank you for all of your help! have a nive evening!

Dr. Rick :

Ouch.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. S

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest