Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

On .January 6,2011 I had cataract surgery to my right eye.There

On .January 6,2011 I had cataract surgery to my right eye.There were complications.My color vision increased to on par with my lerft eye which had cataract surgery in 2003 without incident.The complications I refer to above from the 2011 cataract surgery include some large floaters. One seemingly appearing as an inch high and a half inch wide. More importantly there is hazy vision and loss of definition;ie, when my left eye is closed the outline of objects develop double edges. An associate of the surgeon who did the cataract surgery wants to perform "Pars Plano Vitrecomy and Lensectomy". The proposed surgeon saw me twice the first time between he and as I recall two nurses put eye drops four(4) times in both of myeyes. When I was sent home I was informed my eyes would return to normal vision in "five minutes or so".This was not so and I had a terrible time driving home.The doctor advises me he is the best available for the proposed procedure and that it becomes necessary in about one in one hundred cases of cataract surgery.He explained this is unique surgery requiring three punctures made from the rear of my right eye. I intend to seek a second opinion but thought input from your site could be very beneficial. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds as though the right eye has had some pieces of the cataract that have remained in the eye--these are the large floaters you are seeing. These "retained lens fragments" (as they are called) can produce these visual symptoms which are bothersome, but they can also induce inflammation in the eye which can cause swelling in the cornea and/or swelling in the retina, both of which can cause hazy or blurry vision.

This retina surgeon who proposes to take these pieces out with a pars plana vitrectomy and lensectomy is specially trained to do this procedure. It sounds as though you are having enough problems from these retained lens fragments that having this second surgery sounds appropriate.

As far as the vision in the left eye being hazy and without exact definition, this sounds like there might be some uncorrected astigmatism that may be causing these symptoms (which can either be corrected with glasses or a surgical procedure involving a laser or an incision in the cornea).

The dilating drops that you are given in clinic usually don't reverse themselves in 5 minutes so I'm not quite sure why they told you that; I usually tell my patients to expect the vision to be blurred for several hours after their eyes are dilated.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but I have no problem with my left eye.However, when I close the left eye ,the right eye which is somewhat hazy at all times becomes more hazy since my overall vision is no longer being enhanced by the good vision provided by the left eye.Of course with the left eye closed then the double vision also returns to the right eye. The reason I mentioned the eye drop incident was concern this specialist maybe too busy to provide proper care.
I think your concern about the specialist being too busy to provider proper care is a valid one and should not be dismissed. However, from what you've told me, it does sound like the right course of action.

The symptoms in your right eye do sound very consistent with the inflammation that is surely happening because of these retained lens fragments.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This should be my last query.During my search for a qualified physician to provide a 2nd opinion I came across info that cataract surgery does not require sutures. However the doctor scheduled to perform the P/P Vitrecomy/Lensectomy, informed me that 3 sutures were used after the cataract was removed from my right eye.Why was that step needed?Also what are potential dangers in the above procedure,if any; and can I expect significant discomfort after the procedure? Thank you.

Those are good questions. Most people do not require sutures after cataract surgery. It is not unheard of, though. I'd say about 5-7% of people need one or more sutures. If the doctor enlarged the initial wound to help remove some of the cataract, this may be why more than one suture was used. In addition, if I'm doing the surgery and I know there are pieces of the cataract still left in the eye when I'm done with the surgery, I will always put at least one (possibly more) sutures in the eye to make sure that the wounds are stable for the vitreoretinal surgeon to have stability in these wounds when he/she does the PPV/Lensectomy.

The potential dangers of the PPV/Lensectomy include possibility for retinal detachment (rare), small retinal holes (less rare, but still not common), clinically significant infections (uncommon, but serious if it happens), swelling in the retina after surgery (which could blur the vision while it is resolving) and increased pressure in the eyes (usually transitory if it happens at all). For the most part, people do not experience significant discomfort after the procedure. This surgeon may use a couple of dissolvable sutures in the eye at the end of the case and occasionally this can cause some discomfort, but it is usually not bad and does away within several days.

Does this help address your questions?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology