Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a very bloodshot eye. I was wondering what causes this

Customer Question

I have a very bloodshot eye. I was wondering what causes this to happen. I have had this happen before. The white of my eye is blood red. It looks like my eye is bleeding. It is bright red. My daughter noticed it after we came home home from a vet visit for 2 of our dogs. I was wondering if stress could cause blood vessels in the eye to burst and bleed all over the white of the eye. We have a lot of ice on our roads in Northern Texas today. I did a 360 on the highway as soon as I got on the highway from the on ramp. I wasn't going very fast either. I did a complete circle and managed not to hit anything. I got very scared and was wondering if the extreme stress of that could have caused a bleed in my eye. The blood is covering almost the whole white area of my eye. It has collected in a pool of dark red blood in the lower part of my eye. I'm assuming because of gravity. I had this happen before and it just healed itself in a few days. I wonder if this will do the same. Do you think there is any need to see an eye doctor because I really don't want to go back on those icy roads? I am 67 years old and have been told I have catarats but not serious enough to have them removed yet. I have controlled high blood pressure and diabetes. I also have an under active thyroid gland. I just had 2 parathyroid glands removed the week of last Thanksgiving because they were causing me to dump calcium in my blood. I have lots of Arthritis all over my body and I had both breasts removed due to Inflammatory Breast Cancer in 2004. I take lots of meds for all these conditions.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

What you are experiencing does seem to be a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage. In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. You are right that it is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist