Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN WITH SCARRING BEHIND HER EYE SHE WAS THEN

Customer Question

MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN WITH SCARRING BEHIND HER EYE SHE WAS THEN DIAGNOSED WITH IRITIS IN HER GOOD EYE. SHE HAS RECURRING BOUTS OF THE IRITIS SINCE HER DIAGNOSIS. SHE HAS NO STRAIGHT SIGHT IN THE AFFECTED EYE AT BIRTH.IS THERE A CONNECTION.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did they say that her loss of vision at birth was from Toxoplasmosis? Is her inflammation in her good eye in the back (vitreous)?

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Welcome to the chat room.

Dr. Rick :

how old is your daughter now?

JACUSTOMER-yws32r8m- :

SHE IS 35 YEARS OLD. HER CONDITION IS NOT DUE TO TOXOPLASMOSIS. IT IS DUE TO A MALFORMATION BEFORE BIRTH.

Dr. Rick :

ok. Do you know anymore about the malformation? Also do you know if she has anterior uveitis (in front of the iris) or posterior uveitis (behind the iris) or panuveitis (everywhere)?

Dr. Rick :

I would need more information to give you an opinion on if the two are in anyway connected......

JACUSTOMER-yws32r8m- :

SHE HAS NO VISION STRAIGHT AHEAD. I LOST MY FATHER WHEN I WAS 6 MONTHS PREGNANT. DOCTORS SAID AT THE TIME IT COULD BE THE CAUSE.

Dr. Rick :

It must be pretty late in the UK now.....it's 8:30pm here.....

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of congenital causes of central vision loss, some of which can be bilateral with preservation of vision in one eye. Some of them can, later in life, cause recurrent iritis.

Dr. Rick :

With that in mind, it is possible that your daughters bouts of iritis are related to the pathology that caused damage to her central vision at birth. If you had more specific data I could give more a more specific answer as my sub specialty is Retina diseases.

JACUSTOMER-yws32r8m- :

SO WHAT ARE THESE CAUSES.

Dr. Rick :

It is a very long list........and without more information it would end up being a very useless list as far as answering your question. What would you like to do?

Dr. Rick :

The physician treating her iritis would be the best equipped to answer the question you have asked me since he would, hopefully, know what went on in your daughters eye, the type of uveitis she has along with it's possible causes and the results of her systemic workup.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense to you? If you want, I would be happy to review any data you have concerning your daughters eye and help you to better understand it.

Dr. Rick :

I must say, that I do not agree that the stress of your fathers death when you were in your second trimester with you as-yet unborn daughter was the cause of her visual problems.

Dr. Rick :

I see you were typing and have now stopped, but nothing posted on my screen.....

JACUSTOMER-yws32r8m- :

WHAT THE DOCTORS SAID WAS THE EYE WOULD BE FORMING AND WOULD THEN CEASE DEVELOPEMENT AT THE TIME OF MY FATHERS DEATH.

Dr. Rick :

The eye forms earlier then that.....but we are getting away from your question. Yes. It is possible that your daughters central vision loss in one eye from birth is somehow related to her recurrent bouts of iritis 3 decades later.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-yws32r8m- :

MY DAUGHTER WAS TOLD THAT UVEITIS WOULD ONLY AFFECT HER BAD EYE BUT SINCE THAT IT HAS AFFECTED HER GOOD EYE. SHE ALSO HAD OSTEOMEYOLITIS IN HER FOOT AT THIRTEEN YEARS OF AGE WHICH IS ALSO AN AUTO IMMUNE DISORDER. IS THERE A CONNECTION?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
It is possible. Hard to tell without knowing more about what is going on with her eye that had central vision loss at birth.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ARE THERE ANY MORE AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS LIKE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS OR MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE SHE MIGHT DEVELOP. HER DAD HAS RECENTLY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MOYOR NEURONE DISEASE.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
It would be possible with the family history.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
WANTED TO KNOW CONNECTION WITH AUTIMMUNE DISEASE