Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hello I am a worried 30 year old female about a week ago I

Hello I am a worried 30 year old female about a week ago I got a bloodshot eye. I visited the doctor and he said it wasd a conjunctival hemmorage. I came home but I had pain in my eye as if it was sore, then I phoned my optician asking for a second opinion . He said if the doctor has seen it and said it is a ch then that is fine you will see an improvement in the next few days. I said that is okay and did not think any different, coincidentally my daughter had a n appointment with an optometrist at the local hospital.
I mentioned it to the optometrist that my eye hurt and that my doctor said it was ch the op took a quick glance and said it could be a number of things but it is not a ch you need to get that seen asap. He said go to the walk in centre ,and then he said wait let me see if there is a doctor on call who could look at you. He went and came back and said a an op will see you in a while. The op called me in and put some drops in my eye and looked at my eye using a microscope. He then asked me questions like do you have arthritis or any itching on the body I said no the only thing I do suffer from is bowel problem and have done for several years. but I have never been diagnosed.He said you have uvetis an inflammation of the eye I will give you some anti inflammatories and you need to come back in a week. I came home and have since then been cruising the internet for more info. I am very worried is it serious what does it mean, once it gets better will it come back, will I go blind please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

hello

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Customer :

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Is the inflammation only in one eye?
When did it start?
Have you had this before?

Customer :

yes the inflammation is in one eye it started a week ago. I have have

Customer :

I have never had anything like this before

Dr. James :

It is true that iritis/uveitis is often associated with different autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis. There are many people, however, who have irits with no identifiable cause. If this is the first episdoe, then no need to worry.

Dr. James :

If the iritis is recurrent, then it may be a good idea to have your primary care doctor check you for other systemic diseases associated with iritis.

Dr. James :

Many people have just one episode of iritis that is isolated and not recurrent.

Customer :

If this clears up well is there a chance it will strike again

Dr. James :

There is.

Dr. James :

But with one isolated episode, no need to go through additional test at this point.

Customer :

Is there anything I can do to prevent this as in changing diet etc.My curent

Customer :

diet is very poor mainly just high in fat and not enough fruit and veg

Dr. James :

Nothing needs to be done except make sure the current inflammation goes away.. The prognosis is generally good in these situation.

Customer :

Are there any supplements that can be taken as a form of anti inflammatories

Dr. James :

No. Just a good diet in generally, but nothing specific.

Customer :

thankyou doctor james you have been very helpful. I dont think there is enough money in my account could you please debit the full amount tommorow if possible

Customer :

many thanks

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

If you press accept, it will transfer the money you have already deposited.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon