Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What exactaly happens in laser eye surgery. im contemplating

What exactaly happens in laser eye surgery. im contemplating it but am so scared as i have watched it being done on tv. How much can you feel and could i take anything to relax me a bit maybe? its the part where they put the slicer on your eye and cut the flap i hate the look of.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

They numb your eye so all you feel is a little pressure when the flap is pain at all.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, they can give you something to relax you a bit. Many doc's use a little bit of valium or something like it.

Dr. Rick :

In some laser centers the "slicer" as you so aptly called it :) has been replaced by either a laser or a high power water stream.....if you don't like the keratome you might think about going to one of the centers that doesn't use it. If you don't like the idea of a corneal flap at all you can have your laser vision correction done with PRK -- it came before lasik but is still a very good procedure, it just has more post op discomfort associated with it.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.