Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Prefer a optometrist hi there, im a 30 year old male and

Prefer a optometrist

hi there, im a 30 year old male and have always had good vision, recently i've noticed alot of floaters when i look at a light background, (sky white wall) I see what looks like dozens if not hundreds of tiny circles that spin around, it also makes white backgrounds on my computer screens look like there are small waves or ripples moving on the screen, i never use to notice this, all though i have always had large floaters that i would see sometimes, im also seeing these more. Also seeing a very dark orb that floats across once in a while. Should i be worried?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Your spots that are new and that tend to follow your eye movements, floating behind and then catching up to the same position they occupied before then your symptoms sound consistent with what are called vitreous floaters; it sounds as though you've had a change in your previous floaters. These floating spots or "bugs" as some people call them, are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye.

This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age it liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water. Because of this liquification and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can produce these flashes.

These flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent; they can also appear as an arcing light. One of the most important things to understand about floaters is that the process of a new floater happening can rarely lead to a retinal detachment, so it is important to know the 4 signs of a possible retinal detachment. These are: 1. sudden increase in or new floaters, 2. flashing or arcing lights that are persistent and not going away, 3. a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, or 4. a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

I would recommend doing your best to see your ophthalmologist as soon as you can and if any of these four signs I described above happens then you need to see one emergently.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its been this way for about 2 weeks, i cant get to see a optometrist until early next week, the only thing that concerns me is the many more floaters i have now, and its in both eyes. Unlike my other floaters which drift out of my field of vision these are little sniping circles that stay pretty much stationary as near as i can tell. How often does this lead to a retinal detachment?
It is still a rare event that these new floaters lead to a retinal detachment. I would say do your best to get in as soon as you can, but consider it an emergency if you start to develop persistent flashing lights, a shade or shadow you can't see light through or if your visual acuity starts to diminish significantly. The further out you get from the change, the less danger your retina is likely to be in. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mostly, yes.Sounds like i can make it a week.