Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My right eye has been blurry the last couple of days but now

My right eye has been blurry the last couple of days but now it is dilated and sore.Im scared and have no medical insurance,Thank you .
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye red? Just so I understand.... the pupil in the affected eye is larger then the other eye. Is that correct? If so, does it hurt to look at light? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

Did this come on all of a sudden or has it been getting worse since you first noticed it?

Customer :

Hello, yes its red,the pupil is larger than left eye.It does hurt to look into light. Meds Im taking is Xopenex HFA inhalation aerosol as needed,It is not a new drug for me . It has been getting worse it started as alittle red and sore with vision issues and discharge.

Dr. Rick :

Well, there are a number of things that can cause a dilated pupil, red eye and photophobia. One possible cause is anterior uveitis, which is swelling inside your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Since it has been getting worse, your vision is affected and your pupil is not working well you really need to have a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist to figure out just exactly what is going on and start treatment.

Dr. Rick :

I know this is not what you wanted to hear since insurance, and I am sure, money is an issue but you only have two eyes and it is important that they keep on working for the next 50 years or so.

Dr. Rick :

There should be ophthalmologists in you area willing to see you on credit and/or at a discount. If not you can go to the ER and they will have to evaluate you and, hopefully they would get an ophthalmologist to take a peek at you.

Customer :

What would cause swelling inside you eye?What is the most common reason?

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes the swelling just happens and even with an extensive workup no systemic cause is found. In other patients it is related to a specific blood marker called HLA B-27 or arthritis, or inflammatory bowl disease, etc.

Dr. Rick :

On the first episode of anterior uveitis I usually just treat it with steroid drops and forgo the billion dollar workup. Of course, you may not have uveitis at all.....it may be something else. It's hard be sure using "chat" as my only diagnostic tool ;o)

Dr. Rick :

I just feel, given what you have told me, that you should get a good examination by an eye MD.....it sounds like you have more going on then your average "pink eye"

Customer :

Can pink eye cause dilation?

Dr. Rick :

No. Never seen it do that.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, never only cover the 17 years I've been in practice :)

Customer :

ok I will see a doctor I had a feeling this was not good.Thank you for your time.Have a nice evening.

Dr. Rick :

You too. I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest