Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

problem eye..cataract would surgery to remove it compromise the cornea

My husband was also told that the problem eye has a cataract would surgery to remove it compromise the cornea?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Using modern cataract surgery techniques damage to the corneal endothelium, thereby compromising the cornea is very rare. If you husband already had corneal problems different steps can be taken to protect the cornea even more then usual during the cataract surgery.

Dr. Rick :

So to directly answer your question: No. Cataract surgery, as a general rule, will not compromise the cornea.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could a problemwith caract surgry leed my husband to loose his sight in yhat eye?
Every surgery has risks and loss of vision is one of the risks of cataract surgery.....that being said, the risk of your husband going blind in his eye due to a complication of cataract surgery is very, very, very, very.....small.