Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

optromist told him that if a person has had RK and/or Lazik surgery

A friend of mine said an optromist told him that if a person has had RK and/or Lazik surgery, they cannot have cateract surgery. I have had both. I have never heard that from anybody else. Is there any truth to it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. No, there is no truth to that. I have done plenty of cataract surgeries on persons who have had RK and/or LASIK before. The calculations regarding what power of lens-implant to insert in the patient's eye after the cataract is removed can sometimes be a bit more complicated than they would had they not had corneal refractive surgery prior, but this is not a contraindication to having cataract surgery by any means.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.