Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

retina problehem

retina problehem
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds as though you may be having double vision in that one eye that has had numerous surgeries for a detached retina. I would imagine that even strabismus surgery and prisms in your glasses still do not completely resolve your double vision and that you may be symptomatic from the double vision.

Is that correct? If so, are you looking for more/other options to treat this?

If not, what is your specific question that I can help you with?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello sorry about that had strab surgery at schie in phila jan 2010.now going to wilmer at johns hopkins for 6 months so far doc says i do not have irtractable diplopia which i guess means they can fix this .he does not want me wearing patch or prisms he says eventually will get better now he wants me to do eye focosing excersises the image is to my right if i move my eyes slightly to left the images come together so i am trying to do this every day i got the copy of my latest exam jan 14 of last month could you tell me what these statements mean and i hope they are good esotropia status post strabismus repair he says i suspect his diplopia will continue to improve as his visual function in the eye diminishes. procedures deviation shows patient is orthophoric by hirschberg plans patient to continue focusing excercises and use both eyes together as much as possible as his symptoms appear to have improved he says eyes are straight i do not feel like switching doctors again as i seen enough of them thank you

He is noting that you have a little bit of eye crossing in after the strabismus surgery, but he believes that because the vision in your poor eye is so poor and likely not to improve that your symptoms of double vision may actually resolve, but that the exercises would likely help. I think, though, that you are in the right place. The doctors at Wilmer are usually very good!

Does that help? Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also what does orthophoric mean like in hirschberg so do think eventually this will clear up like he says also could it be normal that since i had my strab surgery in jan 2010 it can take this long thanks for the good answer i thought it meant that my eysight has to get a lot worsr before the diplopia clears up do you think that since i could fuse the images together by looking to my left it is a good thing i guess he believes that the fusing is pretty close hence do not wear patch or prism because somsdays i would not mind wearing patch especially in this winter when all i do is sit at home i think about it more
Orthophoric means the eyes are straight. This certainly could improve even without the vision worsening. It sounds like he means that either scenario is possible: that you may be able to fuse soon and also that if the vision worsens it may make your symptoms better anyway. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i just hope i do not have to wait till vision gets bad in order for the diplopia to get better so do you think i am close to fusing since eyes are straight
I would suspect that you are close to fusing, yes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So ssorry i ask so many questions but when the diplopia is getting to me i like to call on you guys for reassurance that things will get better your doctors were always helpful in past.also when i do look slightly to left and images come together is this a good sign ?doc is gonna send me focus eye excersises to do can this be helpful? appreciate if you would answer these two questions Tell you the truth if no one has ever had this problem it is very hard explaing to them how annoying this is in my case it was all about some idiot speeding and running a red light and hitting me headon back in 2007 so like i said i worry an extreme alot so it is always great for the reassurance that the doctors there provide as i cannot always call mine everytime
This is neither a good or bad sign, you are just aligning your eyes by doing that; it's not prognostic of anything, though. The focusing exercises can help, but they aren't always successful. I think you are on the correct path, though, and it sounds as though you have a good chance of this getting better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well at least having bad vision is good for one thing if i have to rely on vision gatting worse how long will that take ?i guess there is always another strab surgery or small amount of prism when you sayi have a good chance of getting better what are the positive things you think i have going ?
It really depends; it's possible the vision never gets worse. If you develop a cataract that may worsen the vision. I think the positive things you have going for you are that you can fuse with just a very little turn of the head and that he said you appear straight on exam.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one more question i did have cataract surgery on that eye it seems when double got worse is when my one surgeon kept operating on hopes to restore vision and all it did was get little more periferal vision clearer and made the diplopia worse well from what i have told you what percentage do you give me of this clearing up?

It sounds as though the cataract surgery was done to allow more light in and clearer vision of whatever visual potential the retina has/had. I do not expect that having had cataract surgery will make the double vision any better or worse from here on out, but at least it will give you a clear window through which to get the best visual potential from your retina that you can get. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no it doesn't if the vision was as bad after 2nd retina surgery vision was very poor which i wish it was like that now i would not mind double better if that eye was black so what percentage do you give

You are correct in that the improved vision from the cataract surgery may actually worsen the double vision because now the peripheral vision, which is likely intact from the retinal detachment surgeries is improved and you are having increased competition from the peripheral vision in one eye and the vision in the other eye. Knowing this, I would actually give you a 60-65% chance that through exercises and improvement in your alignment that has happened since surgery that you will improve to the point of no double vision. Now please know that is a very rough estimate and that there is no way of accurately being able to provide these odds with any degree of absolute certainty, but the signs and symptoms you've described for me thus far lead me to believe that you have a little better chance than 50/50 at being asymptomatic from the double vision.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology