Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a real bad astigmatism, Im 39 years old.Ive had problems of and on

I have a real bad astigmatism, I'm 39 years old.I've had problems of and on for the past
10 years because of glasses not sitting right or 2degrees off prescription stuff like that.Well now I've been having real bad anxiety and panic attacks,the doctor has me on klonopin as needed,but for the past week I've been trying to go to sleep and as soon as i close my eyes it feels like a wave of nerve kind of jolts me,alot, kind of feels like my body is shutting off.I was sitting in the Dr.today and i started feeling real panicky and anxious so i took my glasses off and it stopped. Put them back on after 15 minuets and felt better,not great.I'm not getting much sleep because of the feeling at night. I really need someone to talk to about this.I feel like its driving me crazy.Can this cause damage
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think that your glasses are the source of your difficulty.

Dr. Rick :

The good news is that wearing or not wearing your glasses, having panic attacks concerning your eyes or your glasses will not affect your vision or your eyes in any way. I am sure this in and of itself is good news because now you don't have to worry about your eyes so, hopefully, your panic attacks will decrease.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How is it that i took my glasses off one time and the anxiety stopped.And the worst symptoms come 1 to2 hrs into sleep.It kinda feels like my eyes are trying to adjust,and the feeling i have
is of anxiety and panic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
When you take you glasses off and go to sleep there really is no "adjusting" that takes place in your eyes. Anxiety and Panic, as you know, rarely follow logical rules and can be linked to many things.

If you feel that removing your glasses is contributing to your anxiety perhaps you could discuss being fitted with extended wear contact lenses (these are the type you can sleep in. This way you would be "wearing" your glasses when you sleep and that may help with the anxiety you feel when you take take them off to sleep.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest