Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

A year ago vision in my right eye became blurry, it happened

Customer Question

A year ago vision in my right eye became blurry, it happened overnight or possibly over the course of a couple days. Was referred to neurologist who suspected optic neuritis and ordered a brain mri with orbits. MRI was normal. Because of other symptoms I was experiencing he suspected Devic's disease but blood test for that was normal. Optometrist I see wants me to follow up twice a year, he saw no abnormalities on his exam. I also get headaches behind that eye but was told my symptoms were not consistent with ocular migraines. My vision out of that eye is still blurry and colors look more gray or not as bright out of that eye. Right now it doesn't affect me too much but I'm wondering what to expect and if it will get worse. Since my MRI was normal does that rule out optic neuritis? If it's not that, what else could it be? I've had no eye infections, redness or any type of irritation (except for the headache).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

No. An MRI doesn't rule out optic neuritis. And an optometrist would not optic neuritis if it reached up and bit him.

Dr. Rick :

You should have a complete exam by an ophthalmologist. It does sound like you have some amount of optic nerve dysfunction. It should be documented so any change can be noted.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer

Dr. Rick :

It is impossible to know what you should expect in the future as it seems like no firm diagnosis has been reached yet. There are a number of conditions that can cause the vision changes you are describing, however optic nerve dysfunction is the most common. What caused the issues with your vision and, possibly, your nerve? That will require a complete workup by an ophthalmologist and, perhaps, even a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

It is good that your symptoms have remained stable for the last year. I still believe it is important that you be examined by someone who actually knows something about ocular pathology and advanced treatment options.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I missed you, the last time it took several hours. I greatly appreciate your response. Let me know if you are still here to chat
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I believe it has remained fairly stable but it seems it may have gotten a little worse lately so I will probably go see someone. I live in a small town so we do not have a neuro-opthalmologist but there is probably one a few hours away so will consider that option.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like a plan. Best of luck to you. Take care.