Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had bilateral YAG iridotomies in Oct for IOH. Since then

I had bilateral YAG iridotomies in Oct for IOH. Since then I have pain and tenderness around my right eye, under the eyebrow, and in the area interior close to the nose. I have seen the opthamologist who assures me there are no problems with my eye. What might be a cause of this pain and what can I do about it. Thank you

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-nk7wwhpk- :

Yes I am

Dr. Rick :

It would be very, very unusual for laser iridotomies to cause any periorbital pain

Dr. Rick :

The fact that your ophthalmologist has not seen any evidence of intraocular problems is another reason that your pain most likely is not related to your eyes or your Laser treatment

Dr. Rick :

In almost two decades of practice I have never had a patient with pain from what you are talking about nor have I ever read or heard of anything like it.

JACUSTOMER-nk7wwhpk- :

That's comforting The intranasal steroids have not helped and the lubricant eye drops don't relieve the pain. Any other thoughts as to what might be causing this. It is very disturbing

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like a complete exam of your sinus' and orbits by an ENT would be helpful, maybe even image your sinus and orbits.

Dr. Rick :

There is a branch of the nerve that serves your cheek that runs under your eye in the orbit, perhaps something is pushing on it, affecting it etc.

Dr. Rick :

still there?

JACUSTOMER-nk7wwhpk- :

OK I am certainly willing to pursue that avenue with my internist. Could a significant cervical stenosis contribute to this

Dr. Rick :

no. Wrong nerves......

JACUSTOMER-nk7wwhpk- :

OK Obviously neural anatomy isn't my strong suit. You've been very helpful and I'll take your thoughts to my doctor. I feel better knowing it is very unlikely that it is my eye.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you find out the cause of your discomfort soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-nk7wwhpk- :

Thanks so much. Have a good night

Dr. Rick :

You too.

k