Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My eyes are veiny from wearing contact lenses. I have ceased

My eyes are veiny from wearing contact lenses. I have ceased wearing the contact lenses for 6 weeks and they are still red and veiny. Is the a cure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hui

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

are you present online?

Dr. PG :

the commonest cause of redness and heaviness in the eyes in contact lens wearers is dryness or eyes or an allergic reaction

Dr. PG :

if you have not been using any eye drops earlier, i would recommend you to use lubricating eye drops like genteal/refresh tears/optive etc and also anti-allergy eye drops like zaditen

Dr. PG :

these are vaialble over the counter

Dr. PG :

also apply cold compresses with ice on closed eyelids

Dr. PG :

do not splash any water in eyes

Dr. PG :

withold using contact lenses for a few days

Dr. PG :

if there si no improvement, then consult an ophthalmologist for a first hand evaluation and also get your contact lenses checked for any protein deposits, scratches etc

Dr. PG :

hope this information is useful

JACUSTOMER-1gv4bq5k- :

The redness is still persistent even after 6 weeks of not wearing contacts. The contacts did not irritate me as they were daily. An expert however told me that the veins are due to the luck of oxigen. How can i improve that?

Dr. PG :

wearing contact lenses does not compromise your oxygen supply to the cornea

Dr. PG :

the prominant veins are not due to lack of oxygen per say

Dr. PG :

but if you have slept with your contact lenses in your eyes, then definitely the oxygen supply is hampered

Dr. PG :

ideally, all chronic contact lens wearers are advised to use lubricating eye drops at least once a day to prevent dryness of eyes

Dr. PG :

because slowly over months, there is some element of compromised tear flim of the eyes

Dr. PG :

so, if you have discontinued the contact lenses that is good

Dr. PG :

given your symptoms, you should improve by using lubricating eye drops, initially 3-4 times a day, then reduce slowly as the symptoms improve