Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eyes changed from brown to green. How can this happen

My eyes changed from brown to green. How can this happen?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat

Dr. Rick :

What medicine do you take and what medical problems do you have? Do you use any eye drops or have any eye conditions?

JACUSTOMER-323cu28i- :

Thanks Dr. Rick.

JACUSTOMER-323cu28i- :

I am a 65 and have had diabetes for 40 years, type 1. I take plavix, cardisan, insulin 4 times a day I have high blood presure and have had retinopathy in the past. Witch I had laser surgery 25 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for that extra information.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that can cause your eyes to change color. Many conditions, such as pigmentary glaucoma, horner's syndrome, Fuch's heterochromic iridocyclitis, neovascularization, trauma, pigment dispersion syndrome and anterior uveitis can all cause changes is the color of your iris.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of changing eye color, however, is aging. This can be seen as a variation of normal in about 15% of all Caucasians. During aging a small number of eyes become darker in color however the vast majority become lighter due to the loss of pigmentation in the stroma of the iris tissue. This is because, unlike other areas of the body the iris doesn't make new pigment after birth so if the pigment is lost or looses density the color of the eye lightens.

Dr. Rick :

Why does this happen in some people and not others? The answer to this question is not really understood although there is a strong genetic component to this process as shown by studying this process in identical twins.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information.