Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my right eye is weeping and has been for a month now. Theres

my right eye is "weeping" and has been for a month now. There's no redness and it doesn't hurt. Weird. What is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes, thank you

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

There are a few common things that can cause your symptoms. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

You may not be suffering from all of these issues but you should try the tear replacement drops, at least 3x/day, and the baby shampoo lid scrubs. Give this treatment 3 or 4 weeks to "kick in"

Dr. Rick :

Because there are numerous reasons for dry eye, if not all the reasons that exist in one patient are treated, it can seem as though the ones that are being treated are providing no benefit. If you've tried these recommendations and still don't feel better then you should consider seeing an ophthalmologist

Customer :

the thing is my right eye is constantly producing tears, so I don't know what the drops would do. I'll try the eyelid scrub and see what happens. I'm so busy with work I haven't been able to get in and see a doctor. Plus it doesn't seem painful or serious so I've just let it go. With the eye not being red or sore I wasn't too concerned. But now that this has been going on for a month I'm wondering why it won't go away.

Dr. Rick :

When your eyes are "dry" and irritated they make more tears....this is the "something is in my eye" mode of tear production, not the "my eye feels fine and I'm making tears to keep things moist" mode. The use of natural tears will help your eye turn off the flood of "something in my eye" tears. Does this make sense?

Customer :

yes it does. I've written off allergies or an infection as I'm assuming that would affect both eyes. With allergies I'd think that there would be other symptoms, which I don't have. Do you have a recommendation for an eye drop, or is any "natural tears" suitable?

Dr. Rick :

buy the least expensive tear replacement drops....they are all, basically, the same.

Customer :

perfect, sounds great. I'll try the drops and the eyelid scrub for a few weeks. If it gets worse or other symptoms arise I'll be sure to get into a doctor for an exam. I'm assuming that without any other symptoms this doesn't seem too serious? It's more irritating than anything

Dr. Rick :

you are correct. It is most likely not anything that will cause any long term damage

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

great! thank you so much for your help, its much appreciated. Have a great night.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest