Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

red bumps like mimi pimples without pus around the eyes

red bumps like mimi pimples without pus around the eyes mostly on the lids started out with 3 or 4 getting worse both eyes one on cheek

Hello and thanks for your question.

Have you had these for a while or did they come on quickly?

Are these bumps on a base of reddened skin? Any swelling of the skin itself and/or fevers?

Any change in the vision?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

came on a couple of bumps for a week then a couple more and they itch

thry are on both eyes on the top of the lids and on the sides red bumps that look like mini pimples

the skin is red where the bumps are but not anywhere else/ no fever /doesnt seem like swelling of anything

no vision changes

These bumps that you are experiencing are called milia. They are essentially cysts with a skin-type substance inside of them. They are most frequently seen in infants, but certainly can be seen in adults. They can also have a fairly quick onset like they did in you. Generally, they will come and go, but otherwise do not amount to much significance other than local irritation and itching.

I would recommend using an over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the itching areas twice daily for a week or so or until the irritation resolves.

Do you have any other specific questions about them that I can address? Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how long will till it clears once i start the cortisone ointment

what caused these bumps to appear

had it years ago in the same spot tried stuff bback them dont remember what and went away after about 2 months

The cortisone treatment would only be expected to decrease the irritation and itching, not resolve them completely.

There is no established treatment that makes these go away. Sometimes people will use this cream or that ointment and they go away, but the fact that they go away with whatever they took is, for the most part, coincidental and they would've gone away in that amount of time anyway.

Your prior experience of resolution in about 2 months is fairly average. These may last longer than that, but most tend to disappear after a few months.

No one really knows why these bumps appear; it seems as though some people are just destined to form them, and some people are not. Sometimes, an individual who is predisposed to getting them can have a breakout of them because of some prior skin trauma (abrasions or prior rashes).

Does that make sense?