Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After a migraine I woke up one day with a black spot on my

After a migraine I woke up one day with a black spot on my left vision. First it looked like a crescent moon which grew bigger the next day. I could not read nor see with that eye. Today my left vision is blurry and moves like water. What is that?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Is your right eye affected at all?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

No

Dr. Rick :

Did your vision return to normal after the crescent moon thing, the inability to read and now the water moving vision or has it been bad since things started?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

It has been bad since it started.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Do you take any medications or have any medical problems, or any drug use? Does the eye look normal?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

The eye looks normal. I am taking Abilify 25 mg for bipolar.

Dr. Rick :

One more question....sorry about all of them....was the crescent thing in the center of your vision or off to the side?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

On the bottom.

Dr. Rick :

Any flashes of light or spots floating in your vision?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

Yes there was, when it was still like a crescent moon.

Dr. Rick :

And now the vision is bad in that eye, your can't read anything and the eyeball, when you look at in the mirror looks pretty much normal?

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

Yes it looks normal, but I can't read nor see a person stood in front of me. Now my vision is "better" though it's still very blurry.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I think I can, finally, stop asking questions :o)

Dr. Rick :

The most worrisome thing that comes to mind in your case is a retinal detachment in progress.

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

So that's what I thought. What I can do to prevent it getting worse?

Dr. Rick :

You have had a significant vision loss and the way it has progresses suggests that a portion of your retina detached when you were seeing the flashes and it has now progressed toward the center of your retina, called the macula.

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

Why I could see a little bit better now?

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing you can do at home. You really need to call then closest ophthalmologist to you and get in to see then right away. I am sure who ever you call will get you in immediately when you call.

JACUSTOMER-zaq3te99- :

I have an appointment with an opthalmologist now. So thank you and good bye.

Dr. Rick :

The vision will wax and wane a little as the fluid shifts behind the detached retina. Even if it doesn't turn out to be a detached retina you really must be examined by an eye surgeon right now.

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

I hope things turn out well for you. Take care.
What did the ophthalmologist find?