Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Five weeks ago, I acidentally got false eyelash adhesive into

Five weeks ago, I acidentally got false eyelash adhesive into my eye - quite a substantial amount. It didnt burn at the time, and as it was eyelash glue, I didnt think I needed to flush it with water. Over the course of the following week, my eye started to hurt: I felt pain in the eye when exposed to bright light, and friends commented that my eyelid looked 'puffy'. I also saw a brown[ish] discolouration in the corner of the eye, and extra fluid over my eyeball, which had congealed to the bottom of the eye.
I also noticed that the eyelash glue had burnt the corner of the outer edge of my eye, where the skin is very thin.
I attended a Specialist Eye Hospital in that second week - concerned that I'd done real damage to my eye.
The Consultant gave me an examination first putting drops into my eye, then using his Specialist lamp.
He did not seem overly concerned, but concluded that I'd suffered minor chemical injury with chemosis?
I was then prescribed preservative free eyedrops to be administered four times a day for one week, then twice a day for the second week.
I have followed the instructions, but am monitoring the fact that the discolouration us still there, although the pain has abated somewhat, and now only occurs infrequently and fleetingly.

Am I right to still be concerned?
I would appreciate your help.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. It does sound like you did some damage to the conjunctiva and caused it to swell (chemosis)

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Hello, is the damage permanent then?

Dr. Rick :

The discoloration may take some time to resolve....maybe a few months, but I do not think you have done any permanent damage.

Dr. Rick :

As the conjunctiva ages and puts on new cells, kindof like your skin, the discoloration should fade. You might, however, be left with more prominent blood vessels in the area of the injury

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Will the fluid go down on my actual eyeball? It has congealed at the bottom of the eye, and I can actually feel it in there.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, with time as the injury heals that should resolve.

Dr. Rick :

There may be some scar formation which might cause a permanent, or long lasting, increase in the tissue thickness in that area.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Please reassure me - I hope I am talking with a real person here. I am so worried - we only get one pair of eyes.

Dr. Rick :

That is true and we like to keep both of them working :) I'm a real person (at least my wife says I am) and I'm an ophthalmologist in Northern Wisconsin....and you are somewhere in England or it's associated countries

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

What will the scar formation look like, and how come eyelash adhesive could damage my eye, its made for eyes.

Dr. Rick :

It is not made to go into your eyes in large amounts. When the glue sets up it gives off small amounts of nasty chemicals. You probably got a big enough glob in your eye to have it cause a chemical conjunctivitis with the swelling and discoloration.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Yes, I am in London England. Just need to know that there will be no future retina detachments, or anything worse to come in a few years time................

Dr. Rick :

This should have no effect on your retina or in any way increase your chance to have a detachment -- Retina is my sub specialty interest and what I do all day.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Do you think the burn will heal at the corner of my eye, the skin is so delicate there.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, that skin heals very well as it has a good blood supply. I would continue to use the tear replacement drops and you could even put a small amount of neosporin ointment (or whatever they have in London that is like neosporin) on the skin at the corner of your eye 2x/day to help it heal.

Dr. Rick :

Don't put eyelash glue in your eyes anymore, OK? ;o)

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Yes, indeed I read your profile. So there is no longlasting damage to my eye, and with time, it should all heal nicely. Why am i still so worried then? What was the reason for the discolourisation again?

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

What is another name for neosporin - I feel a bit better now.........

Dr. Rick :

the chemical "burn" that the glue caused. And, yes, your eye will heal just fine and everything is OK. It is good, however, that you were seen by an ophthalmologist to make sure.

Dr. Rick :

not sure....let me google it.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

At least the pain has stopped a little. The consultant didnt seem too perturbed also.

Dr. Rick :

Nothing else comes up on Google USA. You could talk to the guy at the drug store. I think bacatracin ointment or triple antibiotic ointment is over the counter. Don't put it in your eyes, just a small amount on the skin

Dr. Rick :

See. Nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Guess you went offline.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Your back.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

And will the extra fluid go away too? and thanks for clarifying where to admin it - nothing is going into my eyes for a very long time!

Dr. Rick :

Yes, the fluid will resorb but it may take some time. You must have done a pretty good job of it with that glue!

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Quite a lot went into my eyes - yes. I have prominent eyes, so was using teeny tiny fiddly eyelashes for a less theatrical effect. First time doing it, and loads of glue went into the corner of my eye. I am so glad there is no long term damage, and thanks - you've reassured me more so than the Consultant - who was quite dismissive of my self-inflicted problem.

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes Doc's can get that way in a busy clinic. I am glad I could help. Take care and, next time, have someone help put those teeny tiny lashes on :o)

Dr. Rick :

Isn't like the middle of the night in London right now?

Dr. Rick :

It

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

How long roughly before it all resolves itself - months or years? Yes 4.18 am here, but was a bit worried about it all to sleep. Thanks a lot, your advice very helpful.

Dr. Rick :

It's 10:19pm here

Dr. Rick :

Might be another month or so. The pigment may take longer, but trust me, it will resolve.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Gudness me - what state are you in. My family are in Port-St Lucie Floruda.

Dr. Rick :

Wisconsin.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Brilliant, I suppose there are worse chemicals that could've gotton into my eye. I'm happy with you advice. How does the payment work?

Dr. Rick :

It is -10F here and falling.....

Dr. Rick :

You just push that pretty green button that says "accept" and then you say nice things about me in the feedback. If you want to make sure that my daughters all have shoes this winter you can even leave a huge bonus :)

Dr. Rick :

You know, starving retina surgeon and all that......

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Not too sure wherabouts that is, oh dear, is that extremley cold? We've had horrid snow here in England for several weks, only just gone now. And ha ha - LOL, but will do, so long as they're not into Laboutin shoes - thats Christian Dior to you and me.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Thanks a bunch, will heed the advice, get the topical solution, and hopefully have my sparkling eyes back.

Dr. Rick :

Ya, I gave up learning about womens shoes a long time ago. It is beyond mere men....Wisconsin is very far North, in the center of the US, along Lake Michigan

Dr. Rick :

Sounds good to me. Good night.

JACUSTOMER-lbpbkkfr- :

Cherio. Ta.

Dr. Rick :

it is -23C on your scale outside my window and getting colder

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh, and one more thing. I had near perfect vision before all this so this wont affect my vision in the long run will it? [I eat a lot of foods containing Lutein]
There should be no long term adverse affects on you vision at all.