Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, I am a 32 year old white male, and have always been

I am a 32 year old white male, and have always been very conscientious about my health: I stay in shape and make efforts to eat very well.

My issue is:
I have been have a disorder with my vision.

I first noticed it a year ago when.
The effect is that like what happens when gazing at a light: there is a bright spot in the center of vision that fades and fades till it's totally gone.
My disturbance is like this, as though the image has nearly faded away but is not quite gone.
It is more noticeable the dimmer the lighting.
I can still read and perform detail work (I am a fine arts painter), but my vision does not feel right.
Closing one eye or another does not effect anything; the disorder is as apparent in one eye as the other.

This first happened 16 months ago during a bout of extreme anxiety and led me to have a number of tests: EEG, MRI
I was concerned about MS and aneurysms (my sister has one).
The neurologist said the tests were clear, that there was nothing noticeably wrong with my brain.
I also visited an opthamologist, who said he could see nothing wrong with my eyes.

After the "all-clear" diagnosis" from the doctors, I chalked all my symptoms up to anxiety, and indeed my vision seemed to return to normal. It had persisted for 8 weeks.

Then, a month ago I went through a second bout of extreme anxiety over an abnormal lymph swelling in my groin.
Again, the doctor tested and said there were no serious problems, that a biopsy was not needed.
I also visited an optometrist in October who tested for Glaucoma and performed a routine exam, which was all clear.

Within a week of this news, I have again begun to experience this eye problem and it has persisted for two weeks now.

I am planning to visit an Opthamologist this week, though I was advised to try this site.

Have you any ideas?

Thank you for your time,

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like this is most likely due to your anxiety rather then any sort of ocular pathology.

Dr. Rick :

Instead of going to a private practice ophthalmologist you might do better to be seen at a University Ophthalmology program where your problem can be evaluated by a diverse group of subspecialists. It would be best if you could bring along copies of your previous medical records and test results. If possible, try to obtain digital copies (on a disk, flash drive etc) or your actual MRI/EEG etc.

Dr. Rick :

I am not sure where you live, however the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota would be an excellent place to go for this level of care. There are, of course, other programs just as good (and possibly better) scattered across the United States.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.