Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Are the cosmetic surgeries ibright and isowhite conjunctivial

Are the cosmetic surgeries ibright and isowhite conjunctivial removal worth the risk for making your eyes white again?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Rick :

The use of a very powerful drug such a mitomycin C after removing the conjunctiva of the eye in the isowhite surgery is very dangerous and I would never recommend such a procedure just to whiten the eye.

Customer :

Have you looked into the ibright surgeon in beverly hills?

Customer :

And his procedure?

Dr. Rick :

Also, in the ibright surgery, while they do not use a cancer treatment drug like Mitomycin -C, does remove the conjunctiva of your eyeball. The conjunctiva is an important part of your eyes defense against infection etc. and, once again, I would consul against this procedure. Dr. Wachler, does however, have a very pretty web page and picture of himself -- wonder if he would risk this surgery on himself or his loved ones?

Dr. Rick :

sorry to be such a stick in the mud on these surgeries but I do not believe the lifelong loss of conjunctiva is worth having your eyes look a little bit whiter.

Dr. Rick :

And using Mitomycin-C for this is almost criminal in my opinion

Customer :

Are you saying that a risk of this surgery is the conjunctivia not growing back?

Dr. Rick :

the conjunctiva will not grow back in it's normal state.

Customer :

Do you think there is any truth in the claim that there may be some improvement in dry eyes after the surgery?

Dr. Rick :

No. As a matter of fact it would, if anything, make dry eyes worse

Dr. Rick :

I wonder where Dr. Wachler got his "reported increase of moisture of eyes" data?

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

do you think perhaps with time this surgery may become more popular the more it is done? Due to the vast cosmetic/plastic surgery industry that we have?

Dr. Rick :

I hope not.

Customer :

Can you tell me in your opinion the risks of this surgery

Dr. Rick :

It seems to me to be a money making scheme that puts profit above the normal risk/benefit assessment we try to apply to everything that is done in ophthalmology. There should be no reason to destroy healthy, normal conjunctiva in hopes of getting a whiter appearing globe. Mitomycin-C is a powerful drug that can cause blindness -- surely people are not willing to risk going blind for whiter looking globes? Even without the use of this drug, conjunctiva serves a very important function in the health of the eyes and to remove it with the hope of getting whiter eyes is, in my frank opinion, just plain nuts.

Dr. Rick :

Now your questions sound like a survey for this procedure :o) For a through response perhaps the Fellows of the American Academy of Ophthalmology should get a chance to review this procedure?

Customer :

ok thank you- But can you provide me with medical risks to this procedure if you were performing it? Are you an eye surgeon?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I am an eye surgeon. The risks with the Mitomycin-C are very great. Do not do it. Ever.

Customer :

ok and with the ibright, excluding the mitomycin? Specific risks?

Dr. Rick :

The actual risks of the surgery with Dr. Wachler? Infection, bleeding, scar formation, poor result. I would expect that his is a good surgeon and wouldn't cut away tenons capsule or slice into the sclera and he is a long way away from the muscle insertions in that area.

Dr. Rick :

Need for normal conjunctiva that you no longer have should your get a number of eye diseases/infections etc later in life......

Dr. Rick :

If you just had to do this surgery I would pick Dr. Wachler's procedure over the one that uses mitomycin-C. Of course, understanding, that I am very much against either one of these procedures to whiten the eye

Customer :

thank you for your advice

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope I wasn't too much of a stick in the mud :o) Maybe that means I'm getting old, eh?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

not necessarily, I expecte this type of feedback in general. But like so many other cosmetic surgeries, they become popular and more well known the more they are performed and the results are generated. I think that I will wait to see what happens.

Dr. Rick :

Good idea. I wish you the best of luck and thanks for letting me weigh in on the issue.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest