Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I know a 73 yr. old male. He could see about 6 yrs. ago and

I know a 73 yr. old male. He could see about 6 yrs. ago and then wife died and his sight went down over a year. His Dr. said it could be stress. He saw a specialist and they said it could be optic nerve problems. He see's a little better outside, but inside his pupils do not dialate so he can see. He says he see's shapes but not much else. One Dr. gave him drops to put in his eyes to help them dialate, but after a short while, they raised the presure in his eyes and they had to stop the drops. Without the drops, his presure is good. He was just wondering if there have been any advancement's made in the problems with eyesight.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer :

Hello

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what drops they used to help dilate his eyes?

Customer :

No he is just a friend and he doesn't see so I am trying to help.

Customer :

I can findout for you

Dr. Rick :

Ok. He is lucky to have a friend like you. It's really not that important that we have the names of his drops.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

He is healthy, but eyesight keeps him at home all the time

Dr. Rick :

To cause his vision to drop to the level of seeing only shapes there has to be something else going on other then his pupils being small.

Customer :

I would think so, but he has almost no medical problems, slight BP elevation but he takes meds for that

Dr. Rick :

The list of things that can do this in a person his age is large and varied. One of the most common is cataracts, which can also contribute to eye pressure going up with chronic pupil dilation.

Customer :

He has no cataracts.

Customer :

Is there a good specialists in Ohio as that is where we live

Dr. Rick :

also if he was diagnosed with an optic nerve problem there should have been a fairly extensive workup done to try and find treatable causes that would damage both his optic nerves

Dr. Rick :

Are you interested in a University program or a general ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

And where in Ohio are you?

Customer :

That was all done probably 5 yrs ago I do not know about that.Just anyone who might help him. He lives near Columbus , Ohio

Dr. Rick :

Ok, let me check

Customer :

ok thank you

Dr. Rick :

Well, you are close to OSU Department of ophahlmology Havener Eye Institute at 915 Olentangy River Road(NNN) NNN-NNNN I know of the Chairman, Dr. Thomas Mauger. You friend would get Top Notch care there

Dr. Rick :

They would leave no stone unturned in a search to improve his vision.

Customer :

Thank you very much. I will get the information to him.

Dr. Rick :

You may have to take him to the appointment as his vision is so poor.

Customer :

He has 2 daughters that live close to him. They will take him.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thanks for taking the time to help your friend. You are a good person

Customer :

thank you for helping

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

you to

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.