Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My son is experiencing a weird but disturbing symptom when

My son is experiencing a weird but disturbing symptom: when he looks at a screen, the real life figures, as in a film, look like cartoon characters to him. This has persisted for 72 hours now. In every other respect he seems fine. Any advice on what could be causing this?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does this also occur when he looks at real life people?

Dr. Rick :

Does he have any medical problems, take any medicines, had any trauma etc?

Dr. Rick :

our chat system seems to be having some problems. Let's switch to Q&A and continue there....

I am here.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it doesn't occur when he looks at real life people. He takes no medications.
Hi. Thanks for that information. We can "chat" using this system, although it is a little bit slow :(
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, so how do we chat?
Just like we are doing now :)

Since your son has normal vision when not looking at screens that means that the problem is not in his eyes or visual pathways. Finding the root of this very interesting problem (as a Doctor this is interesting...sorry about that, it is just part of being a science geek)is going to require an extensive workup involving physicians from a number of different specialties. I think the best place for you to take you son is to a University program where his workup can easily be coordinated with a number of sub-specialists. How far are you from the University of Auckland, Grafton Campus?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We live in Christchurch, which is in the South island.
The University of Otago doesn't seem to have an ophthalmology department or associated departments that will be of help in your son's case. I think if you were to talk to Dr. David Kent at 03(NNN) NNN-NNNNhe would be able to assist you in finding the best folks in New Zealand to help your son. Dr. Kent has been practicing ophthalmology since 1986 and he trained at the University in Auckland so I bet he still keeps in touch with the folks over there. From here in Northern Wisconsin I'm having problems finding doctors near you -- I bet this won't be difficult for Dr. Kent.

Does this plan make sense to you?
I see you are now offline. I hope things work out well for your son. Have a good day.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.