Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

time I get to the payment page it wants more money to proceed

The reset password XXXXX sent me is not accepted. Now every time I get to the payment page it wants more money to proceed. Help!

The question I asked earlier is: my ophthalmologist found a "wrinkle" in my left eye a few years ago. Now the image from that eye is enlarged, causing blurred vision. He now recommends retinal surgery. What is involved, what are the risks, what are the success rates in this surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I started to answer that question for you and have requested more information. I do not know what is going on with your password XXXXX please contact customer support for that. Why don't we continue to answer your question using your first posting unless, of course, you are having problems accessing it. If that is the case, let me know and we can handle things from this posting. I'm sorry about all the problems you are having with our system. :(

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX - I am having problems getting anywhere in this process.

Customer :

Well, I just found out that pressing enter sends the message, finished or not. Sorry. Can we continue this on this page?

Dr. Rick :

Sure. Let me go to the other posting and cut/paste what I wrote there....be right back

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick says:

4:42 PM

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

4:43 PM

Are you available to chat? My sub specialty interest is Retina.

4:48 PM

Have you ever had eye surgery before? What is your current best corrected visual acuity out of that eye? (with your "newest" glasses on...)? Have you had any special tests such as an OCT or fluorescein angiogram?

Dr. Rick :

There you go...now we are all on the same page

Customer :

No previous eye surgery. A little over a week ago the left eye tested at 20/60. I used to have 20/10 vision, but that was quite a few years ago. I do not recognize the test name, however my doctor did a test that produced an image of the retina - is that it? That test was done maybe 5 years ago. When he looked at me recently he saw no obvious change.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Is the doctor who is considering doing the surgery for this wrinkle a retina specialist?

Customer :

My ophthalmologist is referring me to a retina specialist, and doing cataract surgery to correct some slight clouding in order to prepare for the surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. If you cataract is bad enough to block the retina surgeons view then it can be removed first. If not the retina doc can do it at the time of the membrane peel (but I, personally, don't like to take out cataracts anymore) or it can be done after the retina surgery.

Dr. Rick :

You asked what are the risks of this surgery. Well, first everyone gets a cataract afterwards (not an issue in your case), there is a very small risk of a retinal detachment, infection, bleeding (as in any surgery) and it might not work. I have a very high rate of visual improvement in patients I treat for macular pucker/epiretinal membrane.

Dr. Rick :

As to the success rate? I've not really seen any numbers on this, nor have I closely kept track of my own numbers but I would guess that over 98% of patients have a noticeable improvement in their vision, although maximum improvement may take some time....

Dr. Rick :

I've had patients vision continue up to a year after their surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I left out "improve"

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good web page on the topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.ecof.com/florida-lasik-fort-myers/epi_retinal_membranes_macular_pucker_retina_center/epi-retinal-membranes-macular-pucker.html

Customer :

Ah - at last, a name for what I'm asking about. And your feedback sounds encouraging. In my opinion going first class is always cheaper when it comes to things like this - I'll go wherever I can get the best odds for results like you're talking about. Any suggestions?

Dr. Rick :

this is a "bread and butter" surgery of the vast majority of retina surgeons and most anyone will do an excellent job. Where are you located? I'll be happy to give you a name of someone if I know anyone around you.

Customer :

I live in western Colorado. But I'm an old retired airline captain - I can use my pass to get almost anywhere. The referral I have is to a specialist in Grand Junction, CO

Dr. Rick :

Well, some of the best retina specialists are at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. There is a chance, however, that you eye will be filled up with a gas bubble that may prevent you from flying for many weeks. Who is the guy in Grand Junction. Perhaps I know him/her.

Customer :

I believe it's Dr. Waterhouse, but I'd have to double-check that.

Dr. Rick :

I just went to the Retina Center of Western County and I don't know any of those folks. He was in the military, doesn't say where he got his retina training but I'm sure he would do a good job.

Customer :

You mentioned earlier that you do not normally do cataract surgery before the retina surgery, apparently doing that at the same time. Is doing the cataract surgery now simply adding another procedure?

Dr. Rick :

Not really. It is very important that I have an excellent, clear view for the epiretinal membrane peel. If there is a significant cataract it works better if it is removed first. Some general ophthalmologists want me to do the cataract removal at the time of the retina surgery but if the cataract needs to come out I, personally, prefer that the referring doctor remove the cataract and place a lens in the eye first.

Customer :

OK. It looks like you've covered my questions ... besides my wife just said it's dinner time! Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Rick :

We ran out of gas for the grill so chatting with you saved me a trip to town to get more gas.....my wife went :)

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you. Enjoy dinner, Captian.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest