Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, I have a small grey spot persistently in my left

Customer Question

I have a small grey spot persistently in my left central vision, most notable with bright backgrounds. I had a significant car accident 4 months ago, with a concussion and wonder if this could be related, as I am early 30s and no other vision problems. I had an opthalmology exam last week, with no abnormality seen.

Thank you,
SP
Virginia
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Does this grey spot track and get it the way of what you are exactly looking at, like a rifle sight, or does it kinda float around as you move your eye?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you are offline.

Dr. Rick :

If the small grey spot you are talking about is like the latter of the two choices above, you are most likely suffering from a posterior vitreous detachment.

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

A small PVD could be missed on an eye examination if the doctor was not specifically looking for it. While it is most likely not related to your car accident violent movement of you head during the crash could have, theoretically, helped a PVD to occur.

Dr. Rick :

If you grey spot is more like a rifle sight, blocking everything you directly look at, then there may be a problem with your macula -- the very important part of your retina used for most important daily visual functions. If this is the case I would suggest you return to your ophthalmologist for a repeat exam.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
If you need any further information or have any questions you can post them here and I will respond. Have a great day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you still available?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure how to do the chat function.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
we will have to use the Q&A system...just type and hit send (or whatever it says on your screen....)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Looks like we are playing tag......what else would you like me to address?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The system shows that you are currently online. Can you see what I am typing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No--I can't see your typing. I guess that is it. I just sent a response a few minutes ago, wanted to make sure nothing else in the differential, and wondering whether things typically improve if it is a small vitreous separation.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Guess it is too late to chat. I dont' think it is macular, not like a rifle site. I also had some type of infrared tomogram at the exam, which was normal. Couldn't do a blood flow study with contrast, as I am pregnant. I am very nervous, as I'm actually a radiologist, and it is very distracting, having a hard time reading brighter studies, like chest xrays.

I wonder if this type of thing improves over time. I also have some aching in that eye, that I have noticed more lately, perhaps paranoid. My mother had a car accident several years ago, and complained of several subsequent spots in her vision, so I am afraid there was some type of damage done with mine. Perhaps an early separation, I guess, not visible by exam.

Thanks,
SP
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like you had an OCT done. That test would not pick up a PVD.

I would bet that what is going on with you is a PVD. Your ophthalmologist should be able to see the detached vitreous face using the slit lamp and a hand held lens such as a 78 or 90 diopter lens.

Usually what happens is the floater drifts down out of the center of your vision over time and it becomes less of a bother.

I wouldn't worry about anything terrible going on right now with your eyes -- if there was anything like that your ophthalmologist would have picked it up on your recent exam.

Sorry we are playing tag on the Q&A system. Good luck on your pregnancy....make sure to have your colleagues do all the stress-thal and bone scans for the next couple of months :o)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your input.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. Have a great day and best of luck with the upcoming new member of your family