Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 7 year old daughter started to complain yesterday that her

My 7 year old daughter started to complain yesterday that her right eye hurts. She describes the pain like "something punching" her eye. She is also saying that her vision is a little blurry in that eye. She recently had a bout of strep throat, and just finished her antibiotics for that yesterday. She doesn't have a fever. My question is, is this something that I should take her to the ER for (as today's a holiday), or something I should take her to her pediatrician for tomorrow? Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

When you look at your daughters eye, does it look normal to you?

Customer :

Yes, it looks normal. She is blinking more than normal.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of her eye pain, in light of a normal looking eye, after her bout with strep throat is a sinus problem/infection. This is a common cause of periorbital/ocular pain.

Dr. Rick :

Depending upon how much discomfort she is in, and how much relief she gets from the household pain medicine you would normally give her would dictate weather or not you feel you can wait to see the pediatrician tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

From what you tell me she should be OK until tomorrow.

Customer :

Ok, thanks for the info. I just wasn't sure when it comes to the eyes! thanks again.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope she feels better soon.