Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 12 week old daughter has a swollen right eyelid which is

My 12 week old daughter has a swollen right eyelid which is causing it to droop slightly compared with her other eye. The inner tear duct is also very red however there is no puss or discharge coming from it, she hasnt been rubbing it, and it does not seem to be bothering her. However she has had it now for almost 8 weeks and it shows no signs of getting better. I have taken her to the doctor 3 times; the first 2 times it was the same doctor and he said to make sure I kept it clean and that it would heal by itself. The second time I could not waken my child but explained the symptoms to a different doctor and he prescribed antibiotic drops. I have been using these religiously for over a week and they have made absolutely no difference. Please help as I am becoming very worried.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

what do you think is wrong?

Dr. Rick :

Is the red/swollen area on her lower lid, kinda by her nose?

Customer :

no upper lid only

Customer :

yes sorry

Customer :

by her nose

Customer :

in the iner part of eyelid

Customer :

closest to nose

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that this is a chalazion.

Customer :

is this not an actual round spot under eyelid?

Dr. Rick :

although in children as young as your daughter it could also be many other things. Are the doctors who have been treating her pediatricians?

Customer :

this looks more like it is swollen from a bruise except she has had it for so long

Customer :

no they are general practicioners

Customer :

should i demand to see an eye specialist?

Dr. Rick :

Chalazions come in various shapes and sizes but in an infant I would feel better with a complete eye examination by a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Customer :

can this be permanent if not treated

Dr. Rick :

yes. I believe you should do that.....8 weeks is just too long for this to be going on without an expert having a look at it.

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't rush to say that....first we have to find out what is really going on. Obviously it is not getting better with antibiotic drops and the other treatments the GP are suggesting -- time to see a pediatric ophthalmology expert

Customer :

ok thanks for that

Dr. Rick :

I know that can be hard it do in the UK but maybe if you show them this chat from a US Ophthalmologist they will be more willing to get you an appointment in the next few days...the sooner the better.

Customer :

yeah maybe. I will try and get her seen asap

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I hope she is better soon. Have a good day.

Customer :

thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest