Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My son was struck in the eye last night with a toy, my husband

My son was struck in the eye last night with a toy, my husband reports he threw up, and today he says it still hurts and also that he has a dark spot in his vision (of the injured eye) when he closes the uninjured eye. Should I take him in?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer :

Yes, I am.

Dr. Rick :

What type of toy was it and how hard do you think the force of the trauma was? Does he feel like he has a scratch on the eye (feels like something is in it?) and is he still nauseous?

Dr. Rick :

Also how old is your son who was hit in the eye?

Customer :

Hit with a swinging Wii nunchuck controller, he is 8 yrs old. I was not home, but i think it was pretty hard. He is no longer nauseous, but says that when he blinks, his eye stings.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I am concerned about the nausea and vomiting episode from last night as that can be a sign of high pressure inside the eye after the trauma. Also the dark spot in his vision could be from many things......uveitis, bleeding (either in the front or the back of the eye), damage to an area of the retina called the macula or even a retinal detachement.

Dr. Rick :

Given all these possibilities I think your son should be seen by an ophthalmologist this morning to be safe.

Dr. Rick :

Is he pretty good around doctors and able to cooperate with an eye exam? If not then a pediatric ophthalmologist would be better equipped to get in a good exam on a uncooperative 8 year old....if he can cooperate, then any ophthalmologist will do....

Dr. Rick :

The exam would not be painful

Customer :

Ok, I agree. To save time, should I take him to the ER where he will have access to an opthalmologist, or just the pediatrician's? (He's a good and cooperative patient). Or maybe a walk-in clinic?

Dr. Rick :

The pediatrician will be of no value in this case. I would call an ophthalmologist's office, tell them what happened and get in today ASAP. If you can't find one to get you in (and I would think any eye doc would make room for your son given the history of the injury) then go to an ER -- but only if the ER has an ophthalmologist on call....a regular ER doc will, once again, be of no value for this condition.

Dr. Rick :

I always have space in my daily schedule for people who call with problems like what you are experiencing.....so getting into an eye doc's office should be fairly easy

Dr. Rick :

Now...some other advice. Don't panic. Things will be fine.

Customer :

I understand, thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

Dr. Rick :

You too. Best of luck. I hope your son is better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.