Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I cut my sclera this am with my fingernail rubbing my eyes.

I cut my sclera this am with my fingernail rubbing my eyes. There is a drop of blood on it. Should I see an eye doctor?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-aspxkvnb- :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Just so I understand where the cut is.....it is on the white part of your eye and does not involve the clear part (cornea)? Is this correct? Also, with a cut on the conjunctiva (the "skin" that covers the sclera) I wouldn't expect that there would be a lot of pain.....

JACUSTOMER-aspxkvnb- :

That's correct. It's just a small drop of blood.

Dr. Rick :

Can you see a "flap" of loose conjunctiva or is the only sign of injury a drop of blood? You could use a qtip to move the conjunctiva around a bit to see if there is much of a cut.

JACUSTOMER-aspxkvnb- :

I'll go and check, can you hold on a minute...I'm not sure if I have a Q-tip.

Dr. Rick :

ok

JACUSTOMER-aspxkvnb- :

I don't see a flap of skin, but it looks like there might be a little more blood under the original drop of blood. I had eye surgery on my left eye (lazy eye) when I was young so this is my "good" eye. I'm a bit protective of it.

Dr. Rick :

I don't blame you for being protective of that eye :o)

Dr. Rick :

The good news, however, is that I think you are going to live. A small scratch with what amounts to a "bruise" on the conjunctiva of the eye has an extremely low risk of infection and should heal on its own without any special treatment

JACUSTOMER-aspxkvnb- :

Thanks so much. That's all I wanted to hear!! I appreciate your help. Worth every penny. :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-aspxkvnb- :

You, too!

Dr. Rick :

bye.