Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

HI What are someof the reasons a persons eyes would water

HI
What are someof the reason's a person's eye's would water a lot?
Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

Following are the causes of watering of eye;

1) Dacryocystitis; inflammation of the lacrimal gland. This can be acute or chronic in onset.

2) Conjunctivitis; pink eye

3) Nasolacrimal Duct, Obstruction

4) Glaucoma; increased eye ball pressure

5) Blepharitis refers to an inflammatory disease of the eyelid

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience: MBBS MS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist and believe you may have a couple of things going on.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what if someone is taking diovan and simvastatin?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Neither one of those medicines should have any effect on blepharitis or be a cause of your eyes watering. Also warm eye compresses and baby shampoo lid scrubs will not, of course, affect the function of these medicines in the treatment of your high BP or high cholesterol.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD