Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

headache..swollen right eyelid, and pain in my eye..right ear

Hello, I had a localozed headache on the right side for a week. Then I woke up one morning with a swollen right eye and what looks like hives on the outer part of my eyelid, and pain in my eye. It was a Saturday so I could not go to my Dr. Now the next day (Sunday) my eye lid is more swollen and sore and every once in a while I get a pain in my right ear. What do you think this could be and what should I do? Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

How is your vision the right eye? any decrease in vision? or increase sensitivity to light?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

It is likely that the localized headache on the side of the affected eye was in part a manifestation of the early symptom of the slowly evolving inflammation process which ultimately became obvious with the eyelid swellling and intermittment ear pain. This could represent a viral or bacterial cause. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor or Urgent Care doctor for closer evaluation as soon as possible, especially if there is worsening headache, vision loss, pain or swelling. It is likely that you would need oral antibiotics and eye drops, in addition to the warm compresses to help resolve the problem.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.