Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

hi doc my eye problem is continous tearing from both eyes

hi doc
my eye problem is continous tearing from both eyes and very itchey eye.
I use bifocal lens 4.25.need glasses to read a must.Any sugessions and help.I am in
Mossel Bay.Thanks XXXXXXXXXX [email protected]

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the tearing and itchy symptoms of either ocular allergy, blepharitis (inflammation and itching of the eyelashes with disturbance of the tear production), or inadequate correction of the refractive error of the needed glasses prescription causing eye strain with stimulation of the tear production. In addition, certain blood pressure medication including parmapress can cause disturbance of tear production through the effect on the nervous system. I suggest that you consider a follow-up with the eye doctor for a closer evaluation of the eyes under the slit-lamp microscopy for the presence of ocular allergy or blephritis. Based on the refractive errors you have provided, it appears that you have imbalance between the eyes with greater astigmatism on the right eye. Such imbalance can cause strain in focusing and hence tearing from blurred vision with tear production disturbance. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter ocular allergy medication such as Zaditor eye drop twice daily, and preservative free tear drop such as Refresh plus or Genteal tears 4 times daily. If the tearing and itchy eyes is due in part from blepharitis, eyelid hygiene (cleaning) with half diluted baby shampoo followed by warm compresses and use of preservative free tear drop would significantly help in resolving the problem.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.